Front End Noise

Jacob

My Lexus has this noise coming from the front, and it becomes more pronounced as I hit the brakes. At first I thought the rotors needed to be resurfaced which I did a while ago, along with new pads. I don’t hear the noise when I rev the engine while the car is parked which makes me think that the engine is not the source of this noise. Could it be the wheel bearings? And is there a simple test that I can perform to find out? Also, would engine mounts cause such a problem, since mine need to be replaced? Any thoughts are appreciated.

’96 LS400, 123K

Jacob

Is it a clunking noise? If so, it sounds like control arm bushings going bad. Clunking noise when hitting the brakes is a classic symptom. Ever had your strut rods replaced? They're the big arms that attach to the lower control arm from the front. They're usually the 1st to go. Then the lower control arm, then the upper control arm.

I have a 93 with a whine / drone from the right front that gets louder the faster you go. Traced it to wheel bearing.

Jack up the side of interest and spin the wheel. I heard the brake pads occassionally touching. Remove the brake pads and then respin. Could then hear the crackle pop of a bad bearing. Saw the beraing was $43 at Pep boys but have not got up the ambition to fix it. Got detailed instructions on how to change it here on the site

Hope this leads you in the right direction

• 3 weeks later...

I have just had the wheel bearings replaced and the noise is still there. Any ideas on what might be causing the noise? How do I know if the machine shop has done a good job or not? When you turn the hub by hand should it feel very light or not? And should you hear any noise while doing so?

Appreciate any help