Mobil 5000 Clean

post-12293-1118860974_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone,

I own a 96 ES300 with 97k miles. I had a problem yesterday while I was changing my oil. After I finished, I cranked up and I'd say about 4 quarts gushed out from the filter. Needless to say, it was defective. My car ran for about 5 seconds with oil just gushing out from underneath. Does anyone forsee any problems. Should I get it checked out. I've been driving today and haven't heard any problems. I ran out got another filter and this time I used mobil 5000 clean oil. Does anyone have any experience with mobil 5000 instead of mobil 1. For some strange reason it was only $1.68 per quart and I just bought it because it was Mobil.

Thanx,

Keven

Your engine will likely keep on running for a pretty long time, but might get more noisy because the finely polished surfaces on some recriprocating metal parts like the valve lifters could have been scored due to the lack of oil for 5 seconds. It doesn't make any sense to inspect for the damage because the cost to fix it would be about the same or more than the cost of a replacement engine. I wouldn't worry unless engine noises become substantially louder than before the oil starvation incident.

You have an Asian car that was designed to be exceptionally reliable and durable if maintained with Asian (genuine Toyota) replacement parts. Asian car owners who use auto parts store filters and other aftermarket replacement parts risk damaging or ruining their engines, transmissions and other components in subtle ways such as you experienced.

Mobil is constantly changing the names of their oils to maintain public interest and enthusiam for their products. Mobil's "5000" oil is merely a new name for their lowest priced grade of dinosaur oil.

Hi everyone,

I own a 96 ES300 with 97k miles. I had a problem yesterday while I was changing my oil. After I finished, I cranked up and I'd say about 4 quarts gushed out from the filter. Needless to say, it was defective. My car ran for about 5 seconds with oil just gushing out from underneath. Does anyone forsee any problems. Should I get it checked out. I've been driving today and haven't heard any problems. I ran out got another filter and this time I used mobil 5000 clean oil. Does anyone have any experience with mobil 5000 instead of mobil 1. For some strange reason it was only $1.68 per quart and I just bought it because it was Mobil.

Thanx,

Keven

Keven,

The Mobil 5000 clean oil is VERY close to the STOCK oil (Mobil Drive Clean.) that comes in Lexus cars. You are fine with that oil but I would not go over 6K drains with it or with an dino oil I feel.

Here is some FYI for ya.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS..._Clean_5000.asp

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS..._Clean_Oils.asp

I also have seen some oil analysis of both oils and again the drive clean is better but both are dino oils (group 2 and group 3)

You will be fine since it was only for a short interval. Your car idles at around 680 rpm’s. Take that in seconds and divide by 6 (per cyl). It does not come out to much (around 2 rev per cyl). You can get the same thing when you do an oil change and the oil psi has not gotten to all parts of the motor.

Oh, saber Mobil is changing there names of some oils to keep up with the ever-changing fluids in todays market and diversify some. Nothing new here.

I am not going to even comment of the other things you VGR/saber/ monarch states since it is hogwash. Plus not all Asian autos are exceptionally reliable and durable. I know plenty that have had issues (some major) right out the door. All cars have the issues.

Are these cars good sure, but you can make them last on non-oem parts as people have done for years.

Hi everyone,

Thanx,

Keven

It sounds like you turned off the engine without doing any serious damage to the engine. What oil filter did you use when this happened? :blink:

As mbrurn mentioned the dino oil you used is decent for your car, but if you have no leaks currently, you might want to consider switching to synthetic oil....Mobil 1 or Amsoil are the best & most popular. Use their oil filters as well or K & N makes a very good oil filter too. Good luck!

:cheers:

There are video's of Honda's running, and driving for 10 min with no oil, and *running* for 20 min.

It could probably idle a few min before any major damage was done. The oil-build-up & varnish in these things is so bad, everything stays "poorly" lubricated without any oil in them to begin with.

On most of the Toyota v6's, there is around 3-10psi of oil pressure at idle. That's... Next to nothing to begin with.

They typically won't fire plugs until 400rpm cranking, If cold, idle-up to 1100-1250rpm, and when warm settle down to 650-750rpm (All of that is general info depending on which v6 you have, and what transmission logic it is using).

You're fine man. Scared you more than anything else.

but might get more noisy because the finely polished surfaces on some recriprocating metal parts like the valve lifters could have been scored due to the lack of oil for 5 seconds.

I agree with mburnickas.

No oil is kept in the heads when the engine is off (and there is little flow to them anyways). Nothing there would have been hurt.

You couldn't turn the engine off and vacuum a full cup of oil out of both heads 30 seconds later.

oil-on-cams.jpg

(See the varnish, and the 100% lack of oil?)

There is so little oil in fact, that you can run the enigne without the front valve cover on. The ONLY oil that will sling anywhere, is the small amount that is picked up by the set of intermeshing cam gears.

There are video's of Honda's running, and driving for 10 min with no oil, and *running* for 20 min. It could probably idle a few min before any major damage was done.

Here's the other side of the coin:

1. http://www.rlb.50megs.com/oiladitives.html

Consumer Reports attempted to reproduce the "no oil" test where all the oil was drained out of an engine which had been treated with ProLong, and then the engine was run. CR managed a maximum of 13 seconds running out of each of two engine before they seized up, welding the pistons to the barrels.

2. http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/additives.html

"The Car & Driver magazine engines treated with DuraLube lasted a staggering 11 seconds without oil."

3. I personally accidentally idled my 1986 Corolla engine for 10 seconds without oil (forgot to reinstall the oil pan drain plug before refilling the engine with new oil). The camshaft lobes and rocker arm pads were scratched and scored from that incident of running 10 seconds without oil.

3. I personally accidentally idled my 1986 Corolla engine for 10 seconds without oil (forgot to reinstall the oil pan drain plug before refilling the engine with new oil).  The camshaft lobes and rocker arm pads were scratched and scored from that incident of running 10 seconds without oil.

Woops. :blink:

:cheers:

There are video's of Honda's running, and driving for 10 min with no oil, and *running* for 20 min. It could probably idle a few min before any major damage was done.

Here's the other side of the coin:

1. http://www.rlb.50megs.com/oiladitives.html

Consumer Reports attempted to reproduce the "no oil" test where all the oil was drained out of an engine which had been treated with ProLong, and then the engine was run. CR managed a maximum of 13 seconds running out of each of two engine before they seized up, welding the pistons to the barrels.

2. http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/additives.html

"The Car & Driver magazine engines treated with DuraLube lasted a staggering 11 seconds without oil."

3. I personally accidentally idled my 1986 Corolla engine for 10 seconds without oil (forgot to reinstall the oil pan drain plug before refilling the engine with new oil). The camshaft lobes and rocker arm pads were scratched and scored from that incident of running 10 seconds without oil.

so you went double as long as the original poster with 2 less cylinders...That is a long time when using a smaller enginer and longer duration.