Help - '97 Es300 Problem

KWV

I actually have 2 questions. Most pressing:

1. My car dies immediately after starting it. If I keep my foot on the gas it runs and I did manage to keep it running long enough to get home yesterday, but later on, unless I had one foot on the gas at all times, I couldn't get it go at all. I have no lights indicating a problem. What should I look for?

2. Is there a way to do the computerized check without taking the car into a dealer for checking it? Is there a generic scanner (inexpensive) that I can buy to check these things myself?

PLEASE HELP!

Hi there...

I think fuel problems, did you do the tune-up yet?, It could be fuel filter or pump. I also have 97 es 300 with 130 k miles on it, I just did full tune up.

Also check all the plugs of fuel injector and all the cables in the engine, make sure all of them are in and lock.

On my car one of the wires came lose and it feel like no power and spark plugs 1 and 3 stop working. After I put it back all find again.

On scanner it cost around $ 175 in autobarn.com

Good Luck

I am not sure, if some info in the computer it will tell you. Make sure check engine light is working too. Try to get a lexus repair book cover 97 to 2001 toyota and lexus, it will say what do to if you have different problem.

Here is the info.......

Toyota Camry and Lexus Es 300 Automotive Repair Manual: Models Covered: All Toyota Camry, Avalon and Camry Solara and Lexus Es 300 Models 1997 through 2001

by Robert Maddox, Jay Storer, John H. Haynes, Haynes Publishing

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=books

good luck

is there enough power for the lights are they dim?

the gap in the hose usually leads to surging more than dieing

how high in rpms do you have to keep it

does it start normally

i wouldn't say fuel delivery becase it is still givining enough fuel to run the car to higher rpms

if you have no check engine light

then maybe check to see if you have a clogged air firlter when is the last time you changed it

also check the oil it might be gone and the pressure sensor might be stuck

is there enough power for the lights are they dim?

the gap in the hose usually leads to surging more than dieing

how high in rpms do you have to keep it

does it start normally

i wouldn't say fuel delivery becase it is still givining enough fuel to run the car to higher rpms

if you have no check engine light

then maybe check to see if you have a clogged air firlter when is the last time you changed it

also check the oil it might be gone and the pressure sensor might be stuck

i have had surging because of engine movement.. but when i touched the hose the car would cut out.

too much air will cut the engine.

then again fuel could be another reason. Sometimes it is the most silliest things that cause it!

It could be the MAF sensor. The vehicle won't throw any codes when this thing goes bad. Have you done any repairs lately? If you interested knowing how to test the MAF sensor let me know. I had this same problem two weeks ago on the IS300. After doing a brake job and 15k, while test drive the vehicle. It dies on me. I tested the circuits and fues. Check for fuel and sparks. Have everything. Finally, I tested out the MAF sensor and It was bad. This car was kicking rear for 2 hrs. :(

JPI

It could be the MAF sensor. The vehicle won't throw any codes when this thing goes bad. Have you done any repairs lately? If you interested knowing how to test the MAF sensor let me know. I had this same problem two weeks ago on the IS300. After doing a brake job and 15k, while test drive the vehicle. It dies on me. I tested the circuits and fues. Check for fuel and sparks. Have everything. Finally, I tested out the MAF sensor and It was bad. This car was kicking rear for 2 hrs. :(

JPI

re