98 Gs300 Engine Knocking

Hello everyone, I read up on the engine knocking on this forum and found some good info that I will try out tonight but wanted to see if anyone has any latest info on other causes and how to resolve it.

My 98 GS300 engine is knocking at idle speed. If I rev up the engine knocking sound get faster and faster due to the acceleration. I’ve always put Premium gas in it. It has 115,000 miles on it. Only thing I have not done is changed the timing belt, but have frequently inspected it and it looked fine. Will be doing that tonight along with trying to listen where the sound is coming from.

Possible cause/solution I read up on:

- using seafoam fuel injector cleaner

- valves out of adjustment

Please let me know if you have other suggestions. Thanks!

Hello everyone, I read up on the engine knocking on this forum and found some good info that I will try out tonight but wanted to see if anyone has any latest info on other causes and how to resolve it.

My 98 GS300 engine is knocking at idle speed.  If I rev up the engine knocking sound get faster and faster due to the acceleration.  I’ve always put Premium gas in it.  It has 115,000 miles on it.  Only thing I have not done is changed the timing belt, but have frequently inspected it and it looked fine.  Will be doing that tonight along with trying to listen where the sound is coming from. 

Possible cause/solution I read up on:

- using seafoam fuel injector cleaner

- valves out of adjustment

Please let me know if you have other suggestions.  Thanks!

Read "Lexus 2jz-ge Engines, Interference or not?" below the 98 GS 300 has interference engine so if the T belt slips a tooth it could cause a knock. I had a Toyota that uses this same engine (older 12 valve) which started to knock and that turned out to be one of the bolts that hold the torque converter to the flex plate came loose and started to knock. :wacko:

That came loose after 8-9 years of driving with 160000 miles on the clock, good luck with yours.

Win

Found and fixed the problem I had with the engine knocking. It was the 3rdth spark plug under the intake that was loose along with the spark plug wire. So i changed all the plugs and now it's running perfect. I always thought if it was the plugs, at least the check engine light would come on. But anyways, simple fix. Thnx....

• 7 months later...

Found and fixed the problem I had with the engine knocking. It was the 3rdth spark plug under the intake that was loose along with the spark plug wire. So i changed all the plugs and now it's running perfect. I always thought if it was the plugs, at least the check engine light would come on. But anyways, simple fix. Thnx....

Hey Pardesi,

My car has a severe knock on cold engine starts or when it sits still for more than 15 mins. As soon as i put the car into gear and go the sound goes away. Other than that the car funs perfectly. Just wondering if you had the same symptoms. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...