Wooden / Leather Steering Wheel Upgrade

RxStudent

I have a 1999 Lexus RX 300 and am wanting to upgrade to a wood / leather steering wheel as found on many 2001-03 RX 300's.

Does anyone know if a 2001-03 RX steering wheel will fit a 1999-00 RX 300?

Also, where can I find a good deal on one?...besides eBay.

THANKS in Advance!!!

I have a 1999 Lexus RX 300 and am wanting to upgrade to a wood / leather steering wheel as found on many 2001-03 RX 300's.

THANKS in Advance!!!

I would question why you'd want it. I own a 330 with that wheel, and it's difficult to regulate when coming out of a turn, because the different surfaces of the slick wood and the tackier leather make normal wheel-handling more challenging. It does look cool, but that's its main benefit.

Clearly, it is the appearance of the wood wheel that I am after. I like the appearance of the wood wheel in my LX 470 and would like to dress up the interior of the 99 RX 300 with a wood / leather steering wheel and shifter.

THANKS in Advance!!!

I would question why you'd want it. I own a 330 with that wheel, and it's difficult to regulate when coming out of a turn, because the different surfaces of the slick wood and the tackier leather make normal wheel-handling more challenging. It does look cool, but that's its main benefit.

The wheel will work but you'll also have to buy the airbag module. Unless you can find a used one its gonna be pricey.

The easiest solution is to get a retrofit from somewhere like www.americanstitches.com

I agree that the wood/leather wheels look much nicer... I find it nicer while driving; less friction b/t your hands and the wheel. Feels better...

The only thing with wooden wheels, if you wear rings or metal watches, you get ring marks. These are tiny indentations in the wood that look horrible. I try to prevent them, but they are everywhere! You don't even know you're making them. After 4 years the wood's practically ALL covered in these marks....

Lex- Interestingly enough I've seen ring marks on ES's, GS's, RX's etc but never have I seen an LS with ring marks. Maybe the coating they use on the wood is harder...

Lex- Interestingly enough I've seen ring marks on ES's, GS's, RX's etc but never have I seen an LS with ring marks. Maybe the coating they use on the wood is harder...

As much as you try to prevent them, they somwhow appear!! LOL

My 2003 rx300 after only 2 years had a good amount of them.

My 98 LS400 after 3 years had ring marks....My 05 Ls doesn't have any yet. It only has 1,500 miles, and i'm very careful LOL.

My wife's 03 GS430 after 2 years was COMPLETELY covered in ring marks. I mean completely covered!! I don't know how she did it; but she did. It almost hurt to turn. So ugly too!! Her 05 ES as of today doen't have that many that are noticible though. mostly scratches now...Maybe the new acrylics are better i dont know...

The ring marks show up more on darker color woods, like on the standard (not coach) rx300's and your Es300 for example...The lighter color woods like on the 05 es and rx330's dont show ring marks as easiely. like solver shows dirt less than black...You can still feel ring marks though.

Your LS had them? Wow never seen one with them.

When my fiance drives my car I make her take her rings off lol, and I dont wear any.

HaHa wow i wish i could say that to my wife; all i would get is a slap LOL...

I'm too lazy to take my rings off. I just be a little more careful; not like it helps.

another thing; my wife got her ring caught on one of the stitches of my 03 rx300 when i had it, and she ripped it off. don't tell anyone; but i just aded a drop of superglue and it was fixed!! HAHA....

The stitches feel so rough it's a little bui agrivating to my hands. One negative thing about these steering wheels. I do love the wood though; my favorite is the standard walnut rx300 wheel (not coach). The dark red wood with the larger ends on the top piece. The only thing i miss about the rx300...