Power Steering Fluid ?

Black Lex

Always use what the owners manual recommends:

All Toyota owners manuals from 1972 - 2005 recommend Dexron auto trans fluid

for the power steering system, not products labeled power steering fluid. If the fluid is never changed, eventually the filter screens in the power steering system will clog like this

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mast...ch/psscreen.jpg

While dealers can be trusted to use genuine Toyota parts, they cannot be trusted to always use genuine Toyota lubes and fluids. Example: some dealers use aftermarket antifreeze and tap water. Here's what happens to the aluminum parts of the cooling system when aftermarket vs. genuine Toyota antifreeze is used:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mast...ch/coolanta.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mast...ch/coolantb.jpg

I don't really mean to start anew the controversy over red vs. green coolant; however, it seems to me that the photos in VGR's post do not prove the argument he is making.

The first photo labeling indicates that Toyota coolant (red, I assume) and distilled water was used. The second photo labeling indicates that green coolant and tap water was used. Could it be that perhaps the tap water was the cause of the corrosion - and not the green coolant?

Could it be that perhaps the tap water was the cause of the corrosion - and not the green coolant?

The ES300 forum is full of early 1990's owner reports of overheating and cooling system related engine failures. Not one report has involved an owner that had used the factory original coolant mixture at replacement time (50% Toyota Long Life Coolant + 50% distilled water). The reason for that is the factory coolant mixture has the capability of keeping the cooling system immaculately clean, free of corrosion and performing like new for many decades. Green coolant cannot do that, not even when mixed with distilled water, although using distilled water will slow the rate of system deterioration.

I cant seem to get a definitive answer on this one .

Manual says Dex. Tran. Fluid .  Mechanics at lexus

dealerships most often use power steering fluid . :blink:

I had some grease monkeys put the power steering fluid instead of ATF and it started to leak because of the viscosity different, they're close but not the same. I had to drain the power steering pump myself but I got it done. This was on my SC400 and almost destroyed the alternator.