Electrical Nightmare Please Help

hello everyone.. i love my 98 gs400 its my pride and joy... but shes been giving me extream problems that i have to fix... my AC is not working... it reads celcius... WHY... then it has a ( -- ) where it is supposed to read farhenhight....does this need to be reset or something... it came on once and was working fine... then for the past 2 weeks my AC or heat wont read a temp or turn on!!!!! :censored: im getting very aggravated... somehow also the tilt steering wheel when u turn the car on usually comes to its postition... this does not work.. it stayes where i keep it... and the 5,4,3,2,1 on the dash where the shifting is indicated is not working... and the cruise control light is not working... These are all connected somehow someway together.... sounds crazy but its buggin me out.. what do u guys think... a short in a wire....???? a fuse???? PLEASE HELP ME... I need AC in this heat of summer.... lol.. the black leather burns my back...lol.. thank u guys

Ryan :cheers:

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE SOMEONE HELP MEEEEEE..... :blink:

Have you checked ALL of the fuses ? Look for a loose wire connector ? Have you searched these forums thouroughly ?

There is a service bulletin on this problem. You must replace the AC computer and possibly the body computer. Mega-mega bucks I would think. See your dealer for an estimate.

My sources tell me $1,490.54 for the BCM and $507.16 for the AC ECM. Also include 1.5 hrs. of labor to do both. What you will need depends on your production date. See the attachment.

Service_Bulletin.pdf

I wasnt able to read the attachment....but thank u... u really think its the computer and not just a short in the wiring... well im going to get the test light and test the fuses and check the wire connections... i need the AC i just hope its not gonna cost 2000 dollars... any other suggestions would be much appreciated..thank u

I wasnt able to read the attachment....but thank u... u really think its the computer and not just a short in the wiring... well im going to get the test light and test the fuses and check the wire connections... i need the AC i just hope its not gonna cost 2000 dollars... any other suggestions would be much appreciated..thank u

If there's a service bulletin and guy posted it, then that's the problem <_< Iwould contact lexus and politely make them help you in some way, since there's a service bulletin on it.

If you want to sound informed when you call Lexus, I would suggest you install Adobe Acrobat Reader properly and read the attachment. You won't find anything with a test lamp. The problem is with the multiplex information bus between the BCM and the AC Amp ECM. There is a definate, known software bug that causes your situation.

I'm not just telling you that for the fun of it, I'm trying to help you. Your problem is outlined EXACTLY in the service bulletin. Depending how far out of warranty, how much business you do/have done with, and how nice your dealer is, he is your only hope unfortunately. If these were the days of old, you could just swap out the ECMs with those from a salvage car (with the appropriate software version) but alas, those days are far behind us. Software versions are specific to cars' production dates and options as well as are the codes in the computers that recognize your keys. All these things have to be set up properly in the new ECMs with the Lexus computer or nothing will work properly.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

i still havent gotten the car to the dealer yet but... last night all the electrical problems went away..... the AC now works along with everything else i mentioned.... just wondering if u still feel that its the ECMs or a loose connection somewhere...... this SH*T is weird guys....

i still havent gotten the car to the dealer yet but... last night all the electrical problems went away..... the AC now works along with everything else i mentioned.... just wondering if u still feel that its the ECMs or a loose connection somewhere...... this SH*T is weird guys....

Heating and Air Conditioning: All Technical Service Bulletins

A/C - Solution to General Malfunctions

HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING

AC003-98

Title:

AIR CONDITIONER MALFUNCTIONS

Models:

'98 GS 300/400

September 4, 1998

Introduction

Some early production 1998 model year GS 300s and 400s may display one or more of the following conditions while driving with the Air Conditioner

ON:

^ Air Conditioner Magnetic Clutch will not engage.

^ Engine Coolant Temperature Gauge

does not function.

^ Automatic Transmission Indicator Lamp in combination meter doesn't function.

^ Outside Temperature Display indicates two centered bars illuminated (as shown in illustration) "freezes" or goes blank.

^ Blower motor inoperative

NOTE:

1. Normal A/C system operation is restored after the ignition switch is cycled once.

2. Condition may be Intermittent.

Affected Vehicles

^ 1998 model year GS 300s produced before VIN JT8BD68S*W0020000 and

1998 model year GS 400s produced before VIN JT8BH68X*WOOO74OO

Parts Information

Warranty Information

Production Change Information

Repair Procedure

1. If a 1998 model GS produced prior to the VIN indicated in the Production Change Information table exhibits any of the symptoms described,

replace the AC ECU with an improved one as indicated in the parts information table.

2. Additionally, check the part number of the ECM and replace if it is not a current production part as indicated in the parts information table.

NOTE:

ECM may have been replaced with current production part for SSC WL2. Always verity involvement/completion of SSC WL2 prior to proceeding

with ECM replacement. lithe vehicle is involved In SSC WL2, but does not show completion, follow SSC WL2 procedures for ECM replacement.