How Do I Replace Cabin Filter In '96 Es300?

golffnutt

Please help if you can, I have a terrible musty, stale smell coming from AC and I think it is Cabin Filter. Can anyone tell me the best place to buy and also how to change it. I would really appreciate your help on this. Thanks everyone.

Please help if you can, I have a terrible musty, stale smell coming from AC and I think it is Cabin Filter.  Can anyone tell me the best place to buy and also how to change it.  I would really appreciate your help on this.  Thanks everyone.

What year Lexus.

I did not post up with answers because it looked like you got them on CL.

The filters go in a compartment that is behind the carpet next to the gas pedal.

Pull the carptet back and you will see it very easily. Don't be surprised if you find a slot with no filters.

Here, do a search and limit it to posts by me "steviej" Open the search up to go before 7 days ago and older. Search on "cabin filter"

If your car has the odor and no filter is in place then the odor is eminating from mildew and growth in the AC vents and most likely on the evaporator fins.

I posted a procedure for spraying lysol in the cowling vent to help kill origin of the odor at the source.

I don't have an ES with the older style filters so I can't help you with the actual installation. However, I beleive lexusk8 gave you a link to a thread with specific instructions.

As for places to get them, price it at you local lexus dealer, they have come down in price.

then check www.lexus-parts.com and www.irontoad.com. You will have to pay shipping from them. See which is cheaper, internet source with shipping or your local dealership.

steviej

I posted

Thanks Steviej, I will look again for filter but looked exactly where you said and saw nothing yesterday.  Thanks so much for your reply.

I thought as steve psoted it was the same as my 98 but was not sure. It is there you need to pull carpet back and there is a door (white) with 3 tabs on it. I have some pix I think from someone on this board. Let me look on my server?

Thanks Steviej, I will look again for filter but looked exactly where you said and saw nothing yesterday.  Thanks so much for your reply.

I thought as steve psoted it was the same as my 98 but was not sure. It is there you need to pull carpet back and there is a door (white) with 3 tabs on it. I have some pix I think from someone on this board. Let me look on my server?

These help?

http://home.comcast.net/~94gsxr1100/es_filter.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~94gsxr1100/es_filter2.jpg

Well the cabin filter ain't beside the gas pedal under the carpet on the side of the console, I promise you it ain't there and there is no empty spot for one either on my '96 ES300. The smell is just getting worse. I tried the lysol think spraying in the window cowls, worked great for 2 days, then right back to stinky smell. Really need to find out where the cabin filter is and replace it so if anyone for sure knows where it is on a '96 ES300 I would sure appreciate the help. Thanks a million to everyone who has tried to help. Have a great day.

Well the cabin filter ain't beside the gas pedal under the carpet on the side of the console, I promise you it ain't there and there is no empty spot for one either on my '96 ES300.  The smell is just getting worse.  I tried the lysol think spraying in the window cowls, worked great for 2 days, then right back to stinky smell.  Really need to find out where the cabin filter is and replace it so if anyone for sure knows where it is on a '96 ES300 I would sure appreciate the help.  Thanks a million to everyone who has tried to help.  Have a great day.

Well I just went through 18 pages for ya (using the search on cabin filter)…

Well all I know is behind the glove box or by the pedal. So the pedal is out as you stated:

http://web.ace.net.au/soarer/air_conditioner_filter.html

Try this for the smell.

www.ultrashield.com/odortreatment.htm

Well the cabin filter ain't beside the gas pedal under the carpet on the side of the console, I promise you it ain't there and there is no empty spot for one either on my '96 ES300.  The smell is just getting worse.  I tried the lysol think spraying in the window cowls, worked great for 2 days, then right back to stinky smell.  Really need to find out where the cabin filter is and replace it so if anyone for sure knows where it is on a '96 ES300 I would sure appreciate the help.  Thanks a million to everyone who has tried to help.  Have a great day.

Well I just went through 18 pages for ya (using the search on cabin filter)…

Well all I know is behind the glove box or by the pedal. So the pedal is out as you stated:

http://web.ace.net.au/soarer/air_conditioner_filter.html

Try this for the smell.

www.ultrashield.com/odortreatment.htm

Thanks guys but I guess I will just give up on this one and take to the dreaded dealer to show me where it is. I really do appreciate everyone's time and input.