Proper Caliper Assembly

It's time for the front brake pad and caliper change. Where exactly do all those clips go? I'd appreciate it if someone could shed light on which clip goes where and why?

The first image below shows the passenger side caliper. As you see there are two styles of pad support clips included with the new caliper. Two have two springs each situatiated perpindicularly to each other and two have only one spring. It is possible to assemble the caliper with the clips in several different positions. Which is the right way?

I would assume the two-spring clips go at the bottom so as to force the pad up with the direction of normal rotation of the rotor. Right or wrong?

The second picture shows the mystery clips. In the background are the anti rattle springs which fit nicely into the holes drilled in the pad backing plates. The question is: where do those two clips go?

post-4610-1117854766_thumb.jpg

post-4610-1117854777_thumb.jpg

It's time for the front brake pad and caliper change. Where exactly do all those clips go? I'd appreciate it if someone could shed light on which clip goes where and why?

The first image below shows the passenger side caliper. As you see there are two styles of pad support clips included with the new caliper. Two have two springs each situatiated perpindicularly to each other and two have only one spring. It is possible to assemble the caliper with the clips in several different positions. Which is the right way?

I would assume the two-spring clips go at the bottom so as to force the pad up with the direction of normal rotation of the rotor. Right or wrong?

The second picture shows the mystery clips. In the background are the anti rattle springs which fit nicely into the holes drilled in the pad backing plates. The question is: where do those two clips go?

Guy, Did you get the shim kits for the pads ? And why are you replacing the calipers? Upgrade ?

The slide bolt froze on the driver's side and I believe in pairs. All the shims and wire springs were missing when I started. All is back to normal except for the "mystery clips" I noted earlier. I did not use the two-part shims that would have been OEM but instead opted to try the "included" shim riveted to that back of the pad. So far, the car stops better than ever and is as smooth as a.,....well you know. Oh yeah, quiet as a mouse too :D

For the price that my local Carquest wanted for the rebuilt calipers, with all the clips, it wasn't even worth thinking about rebuilding them myself.

Just for the record, I took the time to index each rotor to all five positions and measure the runout. I got it down to .0005" wich is well below the .0020" maximum that Lexus recommends. All the "old boys" in the shop laughed at me for taking two hours to r&i each rotor ten times but the result is perfect smoothness.