Castrol Synthetic Oil

SeaDuck79

Our local Toyota dealer, at a recent oil change, talked my wife into using the Castrol oil with some synthetic blend. Since I don't have a real problem with synthetic oil, and it doesn't violate the warranty, I was ok with it.

Does anyone have any experience or feelings about this before I do it the next time?

We have about 12k miles on our 330.

Corporate Toyotas policy on synthetic oil is:

1. It's OK to synthetic, but only if you continue changing the oil at least every 6 months or 5000 miles just as you must with conventional oil (to keep the 6 year / 70,000 mile powertrain warranty in effect).

2. If you decide to use synthetic, you should continue using it for the life of the vehicle and not ever

switch back to conventional oil.

So if you are willing to respect these words of advice of the Toyota engineers, synthetic is fine.

You will encounter tremendous pressure from a variety of non-Toyota sources to stray away from the advice of the Toyota engineers. Example: some will tell you "The Toyota engineers are not in the oil refining business and their knowledge and advice about synthetic oils is obsolete."

You will encounter tremendous pressure from a variety of non-Toyota sources to stray away from the advice of the Toyota engineers.  Example: some will tell you "The Toyota engineers are not in the oil refining business and their knowledge and advice about synthetic oils is obsolete."

Not going to touch that. ;)

I have had enough of dino vs. synthetic oil debates (do a search seaduck if you want to find out more info) so it's a long & drawn out broken record. :whistles: All I will say is that I was in a Toyota dealer the other day & they had 'Genuine Toyota Synthetic oil' in their parts department.......intresting. :whistles:

:cheers:

All I will say is that I was in a Toyota dealer the other day & they had 'Genuine Toyota Synthetic oil' in their parts department.......intresting.    :whistles:

Lexusfreak, was the genuine synthetic oil you saw motor oil or differential oil? For USA bound vehicles, Toyota & Nissan are starting to install synthetic differential oil at the factory in the rear axles of rear wheel drive V8 powered models. However, they are still using and recommending conventiional oil in the motors.

All I will say is that I was in a Toyota dealer the other day & they had 'Genuine Toyota Synthetic oil' in their parts department.......intresting.   :whistles:

Lexusfreak, was the genuine synthetic oil you saw motor oil or differential oil? For USA bound vehicles, Toyota & Nissan are starting to install synthetic differential oil at the factory in the rear axles of rear wheel drive V8 powered models. However, they are still using and recommending conventiional oil in the motors.

VGR, it was Toyota synthetic engine oil.......the stuff was sitting right next to the dino oil in the parts department. B)

I've used nothing but Castrol in bikes and cars since the 1970's and nary a problem. I've used the Castrol synthetic blend in the last two cars and change at the regular book intervals. Castrol products are as good as it gets.

I've used nothing but Castrol in bikes and cars since the 1970's and nary a problem. I've used the Castrol synthetic blend in the last two cars and change at the regular book intervals.  Castrol products are as good as it gets.

I use to use Castrol too......good stuff! B)

I've used Castrol Syntec 5w-50 in my '91 Previa since the beginning and the van's got 230,000 miles on it with no problems or burning. I change the oil religiously every 7,500 miles (just when the change oil light says to). That's a full synthetic though (yeah, I know, there's an issue whether Castrol synthetic is a real synthetic or not).

I've used nothing but Castrol in bikes and cars since the 1970's and nary a problem. I've used the Castrol synthetic blend in the last two cars and change at the regular book intervals.  Castrol products are as good as it gets.

I've used Castrol Syntec 5w-50 in my '91 Previa since the beginning and the van's got 230,000 miles on it with no problems or burning.  I change the oil religiously every 7,500 miles (just when the change oil light says to).  That's a full synthetic though (yeah, I know, there's an issue whether Castrol synthetic is a real synthetic or not).

i run castrol in my race car 20 50 and drop over 20 degrees in temp and have never had a problem i also run it in my ES300. castrol is the only company that will warranty your engien aganst damage do to oil if u use there produst from dayone