Amsoil Can Go 25000 Miles

It's time for next oil change for my car. I was reading lots of thread in our club about using AMSOIL synthetic oil. Today, I contacted Amsoil, tech support dept to get clarified on couple of things before going ahead with my order. The tech person suggested me to go with ATM Amsoil Synthetic Oil 10W-30. He said, I don't have to change oil for 25000 miles except that I need to change the oil filter at 12500 miles. I am in for a total shock. If this is true I don't have to change oil for next 2 yrs!!!. If I order online, all I have to spend is $70 (including shipping for 2 yrs worth of oil change). For me, it sounds too good to be true.

It's time for next oil change for my car. I was reading lots of thread in our club about using AMSOIL synthetic oil. Today, I contacted Amsoil, tech support dept to get clarified on couple of things before going ahead with my order. The tech person suggested me to go with ATM Amsoil Synthetic Oil 10W-30. He said, I don't have to change oil for 25000 miles except that I need to change the oil filter at 12500 miles. I am in for a total shock. If this is true I don't have to change oil for next 2 yrs!!!. If I order online, all I have to spend is $70 (including shipping for 2 yrs worth of oil change). For me, it sounds too good to be true.

I use Amsoil 5w-30 in my 98 ES. Been using Amsoil since my old Mustang 5.0 days. I am not turning this into Amsoil oil war, but for the price and benefits it is hard to beat.

If you read up on it [Amsoil]. You can go 1-year OR “up to 25,000 miles"; whichever is first. I am currently doing 12 to 14K mile intervals (1-year) on my ES. I have been doing extended drains for about 10 years on cars, diesel engines, my gsxr1100 etc. It works.

I spend $45 for my 6 qts of Amsoil 5w-30 (asl) and 2 filters, for 1-year. Yes, it works but in my engine (sludge engine) I can not go 25K miles. I can only go about 17,000 miles on 1 oil change before the TBN gets low.

Any questions, ask since I have been asked about every question in the world, since most are on the standard low milage drains.

There ya go... Now, I am hearing a positive feedback from a real experience. I am convinced. I am going to order 12 quart pack of ATM 10W-30 + 2 filters each for my 98ES300 and 96 Accord.

My next question is that what is the best way to figure out whether my engine is a sludge engine or not? How can I measure the TBN and what is TBN?

There ya go... Now, I am hearing a positive feedback from a real experience. I am convinced. I am going to order 12 quart pack of ATM 10W-30 + 2 filters each for my 98ES300 and 96 Accord.

My next question is that what is the best way to figure out whether my engine is a sludge engine or not? How can I measure the TBN and what is TBN?

This might help ya. I made this a while ago.

http://home.comcast.net/~94gsxr1100/lexus/oil/oil_sludge.htm

Kudos to you. It's very good eye opener for customers like me, who just go by dealer's statements. Thanks! BTW, I really enjoyed your waterless cleaning tutorial section. I have the exact black 98 ES300 with grey border all around. I would like to give it a shot. Can you tell me what are the things I should buy (cleaning liquid, cloth etc.,) and where can I buy all these things.

Man your car rocks!!

Kudos to you. It's very good eye opener for customers like me, who just go by dealer's statements. Thanks! BTW, I really enjoyed your waterless cleaning tutorial section. I have the exact black 98 ES300 with grey border all around. I would like to give it a shot. Can you tell me what are the things I should buy (cleaning liquid, cloth etc.,) and where can I buy all these things.

Man your car rocks!!

Thanks I only use a buffer machine 3 times per year at 1700 rpms. I clay (by hand) with Magic Clay 4 times per year using their fine compound with the proper lube. The claying makes the car like glass. I did it last week again and the car is unreal how smooth it is! People think I am nuts going over the dirt but once they see it, they are amazed. So I do detailing on the side if time permits.

Outside of that, I use Dri-wash and guard on everything, then clay. I use micro-fiber towels to remove the polish from Dri-wash and also use the towels to remove the clay lube.

Notice my bike baught from in the fall of 1993. Never washed with water!

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

I wouldn't EVER run a car that long on an oil change. Your engine will cost you thousands of dollars to replace. It's not worth saving a few dollars.

And, yes, I'm sure I'll hear from a few people who say 'I use it and haven't had problems'. Sorry, that doesn't prove that it's safe.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

I wouldn't EVER run a car that long on an oil change. Your engine will cost you thousands of dollars to replace. It's not worth saving a few dollars.

And, yes, I'm sure I'll hear from a few people who say 'I use it and haven't had problems'. Sorry, that doesn't prove that it's safe.

Really???? Umm, the oil tests show what works and what does not. So far, their oil works fine. Again, I am no chemical engineer (only mech eng) and so far in 10+ years, with all the oil tests, it works.....Nothing really hard to get. Now when Amsoil states 25K miles from the start, that I do not like. It is a +/- with every auto.

I had a person say the samething about Dri-wash and guard over dirt on his SL-500 and next, BAM I was detailig his $90K car....

Unless someone has oil tests to prive it does not work......the businesss has been stating the same drain intervals for over 30 years...

Just wondering mburn, you mention that your 98 is in fact a 'sludge' engine. Why not get Lexus to replace it under their warranty & continue using the Amsoil like you are only with a 'new' engine without the sludge issue? Or are you planning to do that anyways 'just before' the 8 year warranty expires? (or are you past that point)? B)

:cheers:

Just wondering mburn, you mention that your 98 is in fact a 'sludge' engine.  Why not get Lexus to replace it under their warranty & continue using the Amsoil like you are only with a 'new' engine without the sludge issue?  Or are you planning to do that anyways 'just before' the 8 year warranty expires? (or are you past that point)?  B) 

Mine is also a 98 ES 300. I am the second owner and bought this car 2 weeks back. How will I know whether my car has a SLUDGE engine or not? Should I contact LEXUS? If it's a sludge engine, how can I go about replacing my engine? Is it free from LEXUS?

Just wondering mburn, you mention that your 98 is in fact a 'sludge' engine.  Why not get Lexus to replace it under their warranty & continue using the Amsoil like you are only with a 'new' engine without the sludge issue?  Or are you planning to do that anyways 'just before' the 8 year warranty expires? (or are you past that point)?   B)  

Mine is also a 98 ES 300. I am the second owner and bought this car 2 weeks back. How will I know whether my car has a SLUDGE engine or not? Should I contact LEXUS? If it's a sludge engine, how can I go about replacing my engine? Is it free from LEXUS?

Did you get ALL service records when you purchased the car? or dod you know where the previous owner had maintenance performed? Perhaps you can get the records that way. As far as I know, the engine is a free replacement up to the 8 year period as long as 'reasonable' (I think at least one oil change per year someone here mentioned) maintenance records as proof can be given. If it was maintained correctly, there is a very good chance you do not have the sludge problem. B)

I came across this article about synthetic oil. It clearly explains the history and chemistry behind syn oil and claims that all that big print "25000 miles/100% synthetic/full synthetic" may be just a _hype_. This is a very informative article about engine oils. See the URL below:

http://www.synlube.com/synthetic.htm

Did you get ALL service records when you purchased the car?  or dod you know where the previous owner had maintenance performed?  Perhaps you can get the records that way.  As far as I know, the engine is a free replacement up to the 8 year period as long as 'reasonable' (I think at least one oil change per year someone here mentioned) maintenance records as proof can be given.  If it was maintained correctly, there is a very good chance you do not have the sludge problem.  B)

I have the complete service record for this vehicle since Sep 1998 from my local Lexus dealer. As per carfax, this vehicle first registration date was 09/01/1998. The foll article from SynLube, http://www.synlube.com/sludge.htm, claims only ES300 vehicles manufactured between Aug 1998 - July 2001 have the sludge engine. I am not sure, if my car falls into this manufacturing date. How to find out?

I stated I have a sludge engine since all the lexus's in certain years are known to sludge; hence the engine "sludge".

Based on my oil tests, I do not have a sludge problem but I have the Lexus with the engine prone to sludging. I call all the IMZ V-6 engines sludge engines since they could be and are prone to it.

So far, mine looks fine :cheers:

I came across this article about synthetic oil. It clearly explains the history and chemistry behind syn oil and claims that all that big print "25000 miles/100% synthetic/full synthetic" may be just a _hype_. This is a very informative article about engine oils. See the URL below:

http://www.synlube.com/synthetic.htm

The "up to 25K miles works for some and some are short. It depends on the car. My old man does over 20K drain and works fine.

I stated I have a sludge engine since all the lexus's in certain years are known to sludge; hence the engine "sludge".

Based on my oil tests, I do not have a sludge problem but I have the Lexus with the engine prone to sludging. I call all the IMZ V-6 engines sludge engines since they could be and are prone to it.

So far, mine looks fine :cheers:

Gotcha, thanks mburn.....I had a feeling that was the case. B)

I contacted the Lexus customer satisfaction to find out whether my vehicle has a sludge engine. They put me on hold for a while, came back and said, to figure out if the engine has any problem, it seems that I have to take it to a Lexus dealer and only he can determine, whether my engine has a oil gelling/sludge problem.

I am going for an oil change next week to MIDAS. I bought AMSOIL oil + filter thro' online store. I know I should have all the service done in proper intervals and this vehicle has records for all services and oil changes. But, why it should be Lexus? Before taking to the lexus dealer and spending some money for diagnostics, can any mechanic shop tell me if the engine has sludge? or does the engine needs to be removed and ripped open to figure out this problem?

I contacted the Lexus customer satisfaction to find out whether my vehicle has a sludge engine. They put me on hold for a while, came back and said, to figure out if the engine has any problem, it seems that I have to take it to a Lexus dealer and only he can determine, whether my engine has a oil gelling/sludge problem.

I am going for an oil change next week to MIDAS. I bought AMSOIL oil + filter thro' online store. I know I should have all the service done in proper intervals and this vehicle has records for all services and oil changes. But, why it should be Lexus? Before taking to the lexus dealer and spending some money for diagnostics, can any mechanic shop tell me if the engine has sludge? or does the engine needs to be removed and ripped open to figure out this problem?

Well if your ES does have the engine sludge problem, ONLY a Lexus dealer can do the necessary work to repair (new engine) so save yourself extra trips & take it to your lexus dealer.....call ahead & speak to the service manager & ask him/her what is involved in finding out if your engine has the gelling. While your there, pick up some oil plug gaskets at the parts department before you change your oil.....especially expensive oil like Amsoil. ;)

Typical Lexus answer. They want you to bring the car to them blah blah. I simple $25 oil tests can tell you better then they can.

As these years are "sludge enginers" the odds of having one is very slim.

It affects 3.3 million cars made during 1996 to 2002 but only around 3,400 cars needed replacements.

mburn, this from your webpage:

Toyota modified V-6 engines made after July 2001 but has not recalled the earlier engines.

My 01 ES was built in September of 2000. What specific 'modifications' did Toyota / Lexus make to their 3.0L V6 engine after the July 2001 time frame to help prevent the gelling problem? :unsure: B)

Typical Lexus answer. They want you to bring the car to them blah blah. I simple $25 oil tests can tell you better then they can.

It affects 3.3 million cars made during 1996 to 2002 but only around 3,400 cars needed replacements.

How and where can I test my oil for $25. Can you suggest me any specific place?

Take a sample of the oil (in the supplied oil test conatiner) and then send it to them. I have listed some companies (below) and they will test the oil. Price vary by each place.

http://www.oaitesting.com/

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/index.html

http://www.butler-machinery.com/services/p...support_oil.asp

So far OAI has the best price and the most results.

All you need to look at is viscosity, TBN and OXD. If you have thick oil, low TBN and high OXD, you have a sludger.

Example, if you oil was a 5-30 and is now a 5-50 look out. Or if your TBN is vary low and you OXD and NOX are like 60%, you have problems.

Take a sample of the oil (in the supplied oil test conatiner) and then send it to them. I have listed some companies (below) and they will test the oil. Price vary by each place.

http://www.oaitesting.com/

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/index.html

http://www.butler-machinery.com/services/p...support_oil.asp

So far OAI has the best price and the most results.

All you need to look at is viscosity, TBN and OXD. If you have thick oil, low TBN and high OXD, you have a sludger.

Example, if you oil was a 5-30 and is now a 5-50 look out. Or if your TBN is vary low and you OXD and NOX are like 60%, you have problems.

Awesome! Thanks for the pointers mburn :)