Rx330 Brake Failure Investigation

eatright

Forgive me if this topic has previously been posted or discussed as I just found this site. I have a 2004 RX330 and was involved in an accident in January 2005. During the accident, which occurred on a snow covered road, the brakes failed to engage causing me to lose control of the vehicle. After the damages (which were almost $9000) were fixed, we had the braking system looked at by the Lexus dealership. Although my husband was able to reproduce the problem, the Lexus mechanics could not. They stated that there was no problem. Yesterday, May 24th, we took the car to the dealership for 10K service. They stated that they would need to keep the vehicle because there was an investigation underway regarding the brakes. Several people nationally had complained of brake failure and therefore Lexus was looking at all braking mechanisims on the 2004 RX330. If there was a problem found, the brake booster would be replaced. This part WAS found to be faulty on my vehicle. I was VERY angry that this is how I found out about this MAJOR problem! I called Lexus' 1-800 number and was given the run around about why we had not been notified. I explained to her that as someone that had ALREADY complained about brake failure I couldn't believe that we didn't receive some type of notification of this investigation.

Has anyone else with a 2004 RX330 experience brake failure? We were told that it may be related to cold weather. For more information you may want to visit the NHTSA (National Highway Transportation Safety Adminstration) website and look at action number PE5009. I HIGHLY recommend having your vehicle inspected by your local Lexus dealership!!

Where was your Rx built? I heard that the only RX's affected were North American built (Canada) cars. IF your VIN starts with a JT then it's built in Japan. I have 10,000 mile on my 04 RX & have not experienced this problem. Sorry to hear about your accident.

Thanks for your reply. I hadn't heard about the north american problem. I assume that is where mine was made, the VIN starts with 2H...

It's very scary to me that this problem could involve as many as well over 100K vehicles (per NHTSA) and there has been no formal notice sent.

Any one else had a problem?

For your convenience, attached is the text of the NHTSA report on this problem as of today. You can view the current status of this issue by going to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems...efectsearch.cfm

and typing PE05009 in the NHTSA Action Number field.

PE05009_RX330.txt

Where was your Rx built?  I heard that the only RX's affected were North American built (Canada) cars.  IF your VIN starts with a JT then it's built in Japan. I have 10,000 mile on my 04 RX & have not experienced this problem. Sorry to hear about your accident.

My RX330 (bought in Oct 2003) was built in Japan and I received a notice in the mail. Haven't had it changed out yet but will do it at my 15K mile service. I also heard it may have more of an impact in cold weather climates.

I personally have not experienced this brake failure and am glad that it did not happen to me. I did recieve a recall letter and took my RX330 in for this "fix." I don't know what was done to it. However, there is a little sticker that they put on the inside of your drivers door when the fix was done. Good luck.

my sister had the problem on the RX. It occured after starting the car up on a cold moring. when pressing the break to start the car the was no presure and it immdiately dropped to the floor. I have not heard of anybody experiencing this while driving.

Thanks to everyone who has posted. I appreciate the input. Still haven't received any notice.

I was told that the brakes may fail between 1 1/2 and 2 minutes (95 seconds was the time I was told) after starting the vehicle. My accident happened at the end of my street. And yes, I was told it was related to cold weather. It was 11 degrees the morning of the accident. Who knows, it may just be a big coincidence, but it seems strange to me.

Thanks also for the NHTSA link. I've had been there prior to posting here. I do appreciate it though.

Thanks to everyone who has posted.  I appreciate the input.  Still haven't received any notice. 

I was told that the brakes may fail between 1 1/2 and 2 minutes (95 seconds was the time I was told) after starting the vehicle.  My accident happened at the end of my street.  And yes, I was told it was related to cold weather.  It was 11 degrees the morning of the accident.  Who knows, it may just be a big coincidence, but it seems strange to me. 

Thanks also for the NHTSA link.  I've had been there prior to posting here.  I do appreciate it though.

Just checked with my Lexus dealership about this brake booster problem and if it affected my Japanese built '04 RX330, this was there reply...

"THIS SSC (RECALL) ONLY INVOLVES CERTAIN RX 330 VEHICLES PRODUCED IN NORTH AMERICA WITHIN A CERTAIN VIN RANGE"

Hope this helps...

Jonathan