Stock Tints?

ok well i just got my rims in which ill post somepics up when i have time,but i have a big question.

i want to get tints but my state law says 50% in front two doors and everywhere else100% is legal. ive noticed that lexus windows come already pretinted. anyone know what % it is,b\c state law goes by NET light transmitted not jsut film.

also anyone have any suggestions? i was thinking either 50% all around as the safe way, or 50% upfront and everywhere esle 40%(but dont know if that will look bad), or maybe 40% all around(but dont want to be stopped and forced to pay alot for fine and retinting.)

any suggestions????

First off, the percentage is actually the % of light allowed into the car. 100% would be the lightest tint, 0% the darkest. That said, often times, the film that a tint shop carries will provide more light transmission than the legal limit. This is to adjust for factory-tinted glass (in most cases). For example, if the legal limit in your state is 50%, and your car has a 97% light transmission from the factory (really, really light), the tint shop will carry a percentage of film that when combined, will still be within the legal limit. Usually a factory tint will be minimal, and a good tint shop will know what film to use. A better film shop will have a light-reading device so they can do the math for you. If you still have questions, you can ask a local police department or inspection shop to take the light reading for you.

I have a layer of 45% tint and would like to have it darkened. (dang, interior is ivory) The tint dude advised me that he could place another layer of tint on top of the existing film. Is this the correct procedure or are you supposed to remove the film first?

melhadri: The tint that is already on there should ALWAYS be taken off before a new layer is added. I've heard of several tint shops layering the film, and the customers always return with problems. Removing the tint is really not a hard procedure. The tint shop will generally advise you that they make no guarantee on the defrest lines, since removing it from the back window can damage them... HOWEVER, that is rare and a skilled tinter will have no problems.

kyleok: I have 20% carbon-dyed film all around my car and I think it looks great with my black exterior. I used to have 35% up front and 20% on the rear (both metallized), and it looked good as well. I only changed because one of my clients is a tint shop and I volunteered my car to test his new film. Gotta love free tint and clear bra. :) Depending on the color of your car, you can get tints with grey/black, blue, or brown hues (there may be others) to complement the color of your vehicle. That doesn't necessarily mean that the film will look blue or brown, but that it will have a black color with blue or brown undertones... I would suggest going to a tint shop, asking for samples, and making your decision from there.

hmm yea,well i have a white 1996 with tan leather interior. so i dunno i mean i think ive decded that black will look the best but still decideing on the % tints and stuff.

anyone else have any suggestions?

hmm yea,well i have a white 1996 with tan leather interior. so i dunno i mean i think ive decded that black will look the best but still decideing on the % tints and stuff.

anyone else have any suggestions?

I suggest getting a quality (3M, or Llumar brand) 'metalized' & sctatch resistant tint in the 'medium' shade on ALL windows except the windshield of course. ;)

Had dinner this evening with my friend steviej as a lot of you know he is in town for a holiday & trying to convince him to put tint on his 02 ES ;) Sharp looking ride hes got & the tint will make it look that much better. B)

:cheers:

melhadri:  The tint that is already on there should ALWAYS be taken off before a new layer is added.  I've heard of several tint shops layering the film, and the customers always return with problems. 

Factory tint is in the glass itself not on a film applied after the fact so it can't be "removed." But, as byohazard suggested - if you already have a film installed over the window then that should be removed prior to putting on a new film. I wouldn't even think of going back to the tint shop where they told you to double up - that's bad advice in general and shows that they are more interested in getting your $$ than doing the job right.

VA has a 50% front, 30% rear law. On my ES I had 30% all the way around w/ no problems. I had to sign a waiver at the tint shop to get them to do it, but I had it for quite some time and I was never pulled over.

You could safely get a 50% film on top of the minimal factory tint and you'll have no problems. Whatever you do, get the same darkness everywhere - it will look wrong if you don't.

Depending on the cops in your area, your driving style and your car's overall look you may be able to get away w/ 30% all around. If your new rims are 19"s w/ lots of chrome, if you pump the bass, have a lead foot, or any other habbits that would draw attention to yourself or your car then I would stick w/ what's legal.

My ES was basically stock, I drive around during the week in a suit & tie and while I listen to the radio loud sometimes - you could never hear it three lanes over so I never had any problems w/ the cops on my dark tint.

Geo - most newer tint films are guaranteed for life never to peel, crack, fade, or discolor (i.e. turn purple). A lousy install job will cause bubbles, but you don't see too many of those any more.

Agreed, a good quality tint will last many years & not peel or bubble or fade. Don't even think about putting tint over tint (non factory). That tells me the person does not want to do the work involved (and it is a pretty big job) to remove the old tint....find another tint shop but the price will be higher for the extra work. ;)

hmm,see imthinking of doing either 45% all around OR 50 in the front and 40 everywhere else. oi saw couple cars with two different %'s and it looked just fine,you could hardly even tell unless up close anyways. but im not getting metallic or anything just simple black,and ofcourse done by a shop.

hmm,see imthinking of doing either 45% all around OR 50 in the front and 40 everywhere else. oi saw couple cars with two different %'s and it looked just fine,you could hardly even tell unless up close anyways. but im not getting metallic or anything just simple black,and ofcourse done by a shop.

Whatever you decide, I would go with one colour all around (looks classier IMO), have it professionally installed & go with a metalizied tint (which is not metallic) in the shade you like. B) Post pics as it really improves the appearance of the car.