Rx400h Mark Levinson "cd Text"

Everytime I push the "TEXT" button when a CD is playing, I get the message, "NO TITLE"

If I put the same CD in my computer, I get the Album Title and all of the track titles. What gives?

The manual says that you must have a CD with the logo that says "COMPACT disc DIGITAL AUDIO TEXT " Has anyone actually seen such a CD. I have many new CD's including "ray charles genius loves company" and a new one by Norah Jones...none of these have the "TEXT" logo.

One of the reasons that I bought the RX400h is because of the quite ride and the stereo system...I love music. Would sure be nice to see the track titles when you press "TEXT." :)

I have also found that the text button on the stereo is pretty much useless. On the radio you sometimes get the station i.d. but I have yet to see a song title. When you've used Satellite radio a lot like I have you get spoiled. Song title and artist info are always on display.

If you have an "always on" broadband connection to the internet, what could be happening on your computer is that the information is being retrieved from a database on the net. This is how my computer gets CD text info.

So far only one of my CD's display the CD and Track Text. Funny that it's a CD that's about 3 years old. I don't remember the name but it contains some classic opera hits.

I have yet to find others.

I may look into that IPOD mod for my system.

There are certain types of CDs that I've burned that show the song title and artist.

Thanks for the post. Since you are the second person that has said that have seen this, I believe it is true. Unfortunately, the eight or nine cd's that I have tried did not work. Two things puzzle me:

1. why is this feature so rare?

2. why do the same cd's that do not show text on the mark levinson, show title, artist, and track info on a PC computer? I do not have a perpetual broadband internet connection so I do not think the computer is downloading the information as previously suggested.

There are certain types of CDs that I've burned that show the song title and artist.

I do not have a perpetual broadband internet connection so I do not think the computer is downloading the information as previously suggested.

Depending on what software your defaluts are set to for CD play, it may be storing the information on your hard drive. If you want to see if it is coded onto the CD try opening it from the My Computer on your desktop and find the drive that the CD is in. You should be able to simply open the drive and veiw the contents as tho it were a data file. If you see album and song titles then it should be readable by your head unit or CD changer in the car (if they support that function).

Your computer may be pulling the track info from a local database, or even FreeDB (a remote CD database system).

For CD Text to work... you need to burn the CD with CD TEXT option enabled. Nero supports it (and I'm sure many others) but your burner must also support it (most new ones do, but not all - check your manual). Most commercial discs still DO NOT have CD Text (not sure why) but every disc I have burned for the last 5 years or so has text enabled.

And a side note on the VAIS adaptor. Beware if you have an RX. The TEXT option doesnt work at all (its not enabled on the RX).

Hope that clears things up.