Rust Prevention (i Live In The Northeast)

Does anyone have any advice on how to prevent rust from forming on my recently acquired '94 ES 300, especially given that I live in an area that uses a lot of salt on the roads in the winter time? This car is beautiful and I want to keep it looking that way - it has been a real head-turner in the few days that I've been driving it.

Also, there is a tiny rust spot on the roof (passenger's side near the sunroof). The previous owner pointed this out to me...I wouldn't have noticed it without his doing so and I had to look very carefully to actually find it again. I'm not concerned about the appearance of this spot itself...but I do not want it to spread. Is there any way to prevent its spread? It looks like it was the result of a small, but deep scratch. Other than this, the car is rust-free, and even this one is very small and you have to be right up close to the car and looking for it.

Anyway...advice on rust prevention would be appreciated...this car is in great mechanical condition and looks so good that I'd hate to lose it anytime soon to rust.

For rust spots, I sand out existing rust, hopefully it is a small area and put touch up. Like yourself, I just don't want it to spread. After that you need to thoroughly clean and wax your car on a regular basis. Especially in the winter time with all that salt, get the undercarriage washed every now and then. Pay extra attention to the wheel well and edge areas.

Not sure what condition your paint is in, but you may want it clayed, compounded & buffed. If your clearcoat or paint is in bad shape, then the last recommendations won't really help much.

Actually, the clearcoat is in great shape...a few minor scratches here and there but the car is shiny and glossy. As far as cleaning - do you recommend cleaning by hand? I've heard the automatic car washes can scratch up the car...

Wash by hand, rinse wash mitt often. Most car washes will put the very fine scratches that you see at close range. Find a good and legit "touchless" car wash. I found this one, but be sure that they are really touchless and not just a hose spaying down your car.

http://www.erniescarwash.com/

happy motoring in your ride!