Replacing Front Bushings

alloy

My local Lexus dealer said they could not do an alignment due to the bushings being to worn down. These are the bushings that when worn down, you here the clunk when going over speed bumps. They told me $700 to replace them. Would this be correct in anybody's opinion?

My local Lexus dealer said they could not do an alignment due to the bushings being to worn down. These are the bushings that when worn down, you here the clunk when going over speed bumps. They told me $700 to replace them. Would this be correct in anybody's opinion?

Ask them "which bushings"? Thers are several associated with the front end, and all can be replaced "DIY".

My '90 LS has 270k+ miles, just replaced upper control arm bushings (daizen, $100, including lower bushings, not installed yet) and lower ball joints ($90). after alignment, ride is great!

John

That also depends on what year your car is. Diazen's aren't available for 95+ model years. Wish they were though, could have saved me a ton of money! I'm figuring if this is the first time you've heard about the bad bushings, I'm betting it's your strut rod bushings. $700 sure is expensive for that. YOu can get them new online for less than half of that. It's 3 bolts for each. No real major work to get to them either. But, that's if it's a 95+ model.

We really cant help you if you don’t tell us info like year, and mileage in some cases.

Sorry...I have a 1990 LS400 with 165,000 miles. Bought her in 1993 with 59,000 miles on it. Wife has been driving it. I bought her an 02 ES300 and am driving the LS now.

There have been a few threads on here about the "clunk" from the front end and the Daizen bushings seem to be the cure. I was just wondering if $700 was too high for this replacement?

We really cant help you if you don’t tell us info like year, and mileage in some cases.

Sorry...I have a 1990 LS400 with 165,000 miles. Bought her in 1993 with 59,000 miles on it. Wife has been driving it. I bought her an 02 ES300 and am driving the LS now.

There have been a few threads on here about the "clunk" from the front end and the Daizen bushings seem to be the cure. I was just wondering if $700 was too high for this replacement?

If the dealer quoted you $700 for bushings, it can't be the uppers. They will replace the whole control arm assy, which includes the upper ball joint. Dealer price on this part is over $500 per side!

Jack up the front end, grab the tire, and see which way it wiggles. If you can move the top of the wheel in and out, upper bushing and/or ball joint; If the bottom moves in and out, lower ball joint; sides move in and out, tie rod end.

Take the wheel off and visually inspect all components, including stabilizer bar bushings, links and all joints. Grab and wiggle stuff. you should be able to find the offending part(s). At 270k, my lower ball joints were shot. Upper control arm had almost 1/4" play at outer joint due to bushing wear, but ball joint was fine. Lower bushings also fine. I still hear a little clunking, and I think it's stab bushings.

John