Thinking Of Buying

zcardriver

Hello,

I am very much a newbie to this board, as I have been driving Nissan Z cars since the early 80's. Now I'm looking for something to be a little more civil in my life, yet still provide the excitement that I've been accustomed to.

I have found what I think is a great deal on a '92 LS400 with only 58k miles. What I want to know from anyone here is what to look for when checking this car out. At what point do the timming belts have to be changed, and basically how reliable is this model car. I'm looking at spending about 8K for this car, but have also seen newer models with about 100k miles selling for only a couple of thousand more.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Hello,

I am very much a newbie to this board, as I have been driving Nissan Z cars since the early 80's.  Now I'm looking for something to be a little more civil in my life, yet still provide the excitement that I've been accustomed to.

I have found what I think is a great deal on a '92 LS400 with only 58k miles.  What I want to know from anyone here is what to look for when checking this car out.  At what point do the timming belts have to be changed, and basically how reliable is this model car.  I'm looking at spending about 8K for this car, but have also seen newer models with about 100k miles selling for only a couple of thousand more.

That's only 4,000 miles a year!! Are you buying from the owner or dealer?

My '90 has 272,000 miles, original engine and trans/drivetrain. Timing belt change recommended at 90,000 miles, but I'm not sure if they have an age requirement, too. 58k isn't hardly broken in!

Read this

http://www.apaqdigital.com/ls400/ls400_guide.htm

Buying LS 400 1992 model is a great deal especially with 57k Miles. I own an LS400 1992, the car is a dream. The car is so smooth and powerful you will see a difference between a Lexus and a Nissan. Believe me you wont regret it. But like I said first check if the engine is good, check what's under the hood first. Also, i drove a 93, 94 its the same exact thing. They made some interior modifications but everything is the same. My suggestion is go with the 92.

Good Luck with everything. :)

:cheers:

Hello,

I am very much a newbie to this board, as I have been driving Nissan Z cars since the early 80's.  Now I'm looking for something to be a little more civil in my life, yet still provide the excitement that I've been accustomed to.

I have found what I think is a great deal on a '92 LS400 with only 58k miles.  What I want to know from anyone here is what to look for when checking this car out.  At what point do the timming belts have to be changed, and basically how reliable is this model car.  I'm looking at spending about 8K for this car, but have also seen newer models with about 100k miles selling for only a couple of thousand more.

I'm not sure what you mean by exciting. If you drive Z cars then exciting might be great handling and stick shifting. A LS isnt going to give you much of either of those two. You will get comfort, passion and pride of ownership. If your getting older and looking at giving your body a break then this is the car for sure. People look at my 91 and think it's no more than a couple years old. It drives like new also. An older LS400 has got to be one of the best deals out there. It looks like you already found that out. Buy that 92 and start giving us every detail about your car. Besides getting the car,look at all the new Lexus nut friends you will meet here! One guy calls his car Miss Lexus. I cant stand when my car gets dirty,my neighbors think I'm a freak. But they don't understand , they dont own a LS400.

I've had lots of great cars including BMW, Acura and Jaguar. My LS430 is by far the best. I'm sold for life and will make sure to have at least 1 Lexus in the garage for ever.

It's not very "exciting" but it performs extremely well, stunningly so at that. But to be honest I will probably pick up a Boxster or M3 for fun in a year or so. I do like to zip around and shift for myself at times, and I also miss having a convertible.

But the LS is simply incredible. It's hard to believe a car can be so good. Have you driven one yet?

You'll love it. As for things to look out for, on that model years, the dash board lights tend to flicker out at higher mileage, $275 to fix out of dealer, $1,000 + at dealer. Do a search for "dash lights", you'll see it. Also, do a search for "clunking noise". All of us have to deal with control arm bushings going bad. They're soft rubber and tend to wear out around 100k. I'm not sure what age vs mileage comes out to in this area, but you'd be best served to understand it first. Other than the normal routine stuff, they're GREAT cars! What can be better than having a world class, top of the line super sedan for the price of a used Kia? Just takes a little patients, some understand "that's why we're here" and a love for an incrediable car. Some might say "I do" that these are best cars ever built!

Hello,

I'm not sure what you mean by exciting. If you drive Z cars then exciting might be great handling and stick shifting. A LS isnt going to give you much of either of those two. You will get comfort, passion and pride of ownership. If your getting older and looking at giving your body a break then this is the car for sure. People look at my 91 and think it's no more than a couple years old. It drives like new also. An older LS400 has got to be one of the best deals out there. It looks like you already found that out. Buy that 92 and start giving us every detail about your car. Besides getting the car,look at all the new Lexus nut friends you will meet here! One guy calls his car Miss Lexus. I cant stand when my car gets dirty,my neighbors think I'm a freak. But they don't understand , they dont own a LS400.

Thanks for the reply, and yes I guess I am getting older and needing to give the body a break. I hope to arrange to see the car soon, and the owner stated that all scheduled service was performed at the local Lexus dealer.

One concern to me is the timing belt. On my TwinTurbo, the recomendation from Nissan is every 60K miles or 5 years. I haven't been able to find a recommended time frame for the Lexus, and will try and use this to negotiate the price. Does anyone here have any idea as to what the age limit would be for this procedure.

Also, I plan on keeping my Z, since at 15 years of age, I still have people stoping to look, which is something that doesn't happen with my girlfriends new Mercedes!