Brakes/rotors Overheating?

WildCharlie

I am not quite sure why, but after I drive my IS300 (short or long distance) the car has a really strong smell, as it fills my garage quickly when I return home. I do drive aggressivally, but not hard. The smell seems to be comming from the front two wheels.

Is this Normal? I only have 14,500 miles on my 2002 IS300

I do drive aggressivally, but not hard. The smell seems to be comming from the front two wheels.

"when one eliminates all possibilities, what remains must be it" Sherlock Holmes.

try not driving aggresively (fight the urge) and see if the smell is still present in the garage.

steviej

and when i wash my car, my rotors have these yellow stain. but it disappear later. iono if its normal.

that yellowish stain is surface oxidation from the water, (aka; surface rust). It is removed quickly upon application of the brake the first time.

steviej

I drove my IS300 for 10 minutes today, and the smell was still very strong. I drove as non-aggressively as I could.

Is there anything I can do, any ideas?

Might check the condensate puddle from the A/C and see if that's it. Evaporator coils get mildew and mold, but then you should also smell it inside the car.

I guess you already changed gas brands. There's some problems with sulfur smell with some gasolines, but that should smell around the exhaust and not the front wheels.

I drove my IS300 for 10 minutes today, and the smell was still very strong. I drove as non-aggressively as I could.

Is there anything I can do, any ideas?

Might check the condensate puddle from the A/C and see if that's it. Evaporator coils get mildew and mold, but then you should also smell it inside the car.

I guess you already changed gas brands. There's some problems with sulfur smell with some gasolines, but that should smell around the exhaust and not the front wheels.

I don't smell it at all inside my car. I do run the A/C alot, but I would assume that it would be smelled in the car as well if it was a mold issue. As far as the gasoline, I use chevron and shell premium gas only.

Walking around my car, you can smell the oder only in the front of the car.

I could give a little history of the car to see if it helps. The car was in a minor collision where the front right suspension was replaced along with some body work to front right side as well. The car was sitting for about a year before the work was fully completed (saved up). I had the car inspected at a Lexus dealership, where it was said to be in perfect shape (besides needing an alignment).

Assuming the smell is that of brakes in hard use:

if you can measure the thickness of the remaining material on all four brake pads in the front. Assuming they were all mounted new and at the same time (big assumption given the front end work), then they should be wearing even if there is not brake problem.

However, if a caliper is sticking causing a brake pad to drag constantly, then I would expect the thicknesses to not be equal. The pads of least thickness could indicate the sticking rotor.

Also, is the amount of brake dust the same on each side, check behind each wheel too? This may help to pinpoint one side versus the other.

steviej

Assuming the smell is that of brakes in hard use:

if you can measure the thickness of the remaining material on all four brake pads in the front.  Assuming they were all mounted new and at the same time (big assumption given the front end work), then they should be wearing even if there is not brake problem.

However, if a caliper is sticking causing a brake pad to drag constantly, then I would expect the thicknesses to not be equal.  The pads of least thickness could indicate the sticking rotor.

Also, is the amount of brake dust the same on each side, check behind each wheel too?  This may help to pinpoint one side versus the other.

steviej

I took off the front drivers side wheel today. I did notice that the spindle (break/rotor assembly) does seem to scratch or rub when I tried to spin it freely. As far as the break dust, I didn't notice any (I am not an very experienced mechanic =)

I dont have a means of measuring the thickness.