Rx330 Popping Noise

kh046

I'm just curious. (This also goes out to our veterans and management team). Is it possible that the popping/cracking sound that I'm getting from the front area of my car just "body flex" noises such as my dealership has put it bluntly. I've been having this noise from my vehicle for over a year now. In addition, I have had it in numerous times for this noise. The noise comes when you are going over bumps, dips, pulling out of driveways. Also, now, it's also making the noise when you are making right turns and there is a slight change in elevation of the gravel.

For numerous times, my dealership has said that it was the front struts. This last time I took it in, they said that it was basically the "body flexing." And yes, he did mention that I am stuck with the noise.

Any suggestions on a solution? Can it be the RX's body flexing? What do I do next? Am I stuck with this noise? The person that I spoke to was the service manager. He says, he's the top guy and that's his professional opinion.

Thanks in advance.

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

He says, he's the top guy and that's his professional opinion.

Thanks in advance.

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

What a !Removed!! Of course that is not normal, my front end is silent. Now if I go over a big speedbump witth a little speed it will compress and extend the struts to the limit and i might here it. But what you are saying is not normal. I hope you have another dealer around.

Take a new one out and see if its normal.....bet not

Body flex is a term one often reads in car mags, but that usually refers to something that occurs at high stress (like driving a Corvette on a track). I doubt you can induce that kind of body flex pulling out of the driveway. More likely its the suspension making that noise.

If the car is still under (the bumper to bumper) warranty I suggest you try to get the dealer to fix it, if they refuse then you may have to resort to arbitration.

The vehicle IS still under warranty. It will be two years old in October of this year. I've tried my best. He told me that a LEXUS REP will be there next week. I have asked him to pass on my concerns to that REP and give me a follow up on the REP's replies. I am thinking of writing to headquarters or even the BBB. In addition, my next closest dealer is in Bakersfield, about two hours away.

Keep on TOP of these A-holes as your dealer service manager sounds like one for sure! DO you have any other Lexus dealer withen a couple hours from ya? I would be on a road trip and tell that other bozo--BYE-BYE

I'm just curious.  (This also goes out to our veterans and management team).  Is it possible that the popping/cracking sound that I'm getting from the front area of my car just "body flex" noises such as my dealership has put it bluntly.  I've been having this noise from my vehicle for over a year now.  In addition, I have had it in numerous times for this noise.  The noise comes when you are going over bumps, dips, pulling out of driveways.  Also, now, it's also making the noise when you are making right turns and there is a slight change in elevation of the gravel. 

For numerous times, my dealership has said that it was the front struts.  This last time I took it in, they said that it was basically the "body flexing."  And yes, he did mention that I am stuck with the noise.

Any suggestions on a solution?  Can it be the RX's body flexing?  What do I do next?  Am I stuck with this noise?  The person that I spoke to was the service manager.  He says, he's the top guy and that's his professional opinion.

Thanks in advance.

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

I too have had similare noises on my 2004 330, and the local dealer told me it was the front struts, they ordered them but were stopped from fitting them by Lexus head office and I was informed the senior engineer from Torrance would inspect the car to confirm if they were needed. As this is an obvious concern to me , I wated a month for them to carry out the inspection. The engineer arrived along with the area manager and they test drove the car, then to my suprise told me the car was operating withing noise limits and the sounds from the supension were normal operation, and on no account would they repair anyhtin, in fact they told me they will not warrant any suspension repairs on y vehicle , even though I have two years of warranty left.

I tried the BBB but to no avail so really I ma stuck with a car thaty I considr faulty but cannot get any recourse.

There is a Technical Service Bulletin covering the improperly-designed factory-installed front strut rubber bushings on the 1999 and 2000 RX300. It is a well-known problem on this forum and many of us have used this TSB to force Lexus to replace the original rubber bushings with the better-designed-and-manufactured new rubber bushings at no charge (at about 72,000 miles in our particular case). For my wife's 2000 RX300 AWD, this procedure immediately fixed the front end noise problem that all of you are describing. Her vehicle is silent again when driving over speedbumps or on rough roads, even during cold weather when the pops and creaks were at their most irritating levels.

Perhaps there needs to be a similar TSB for the later versions of the RX300 and 330. I would take this information to your service managers and argue that your vehicles need the same front strut rubber bushing fix that the older versions received.

The TSB that applies to 1999 and 2000 RX models is SU002-99. Visit your service manager, ask to see a copy of this bulletin, and get the wheels turning towards resolving this problem on the later RX versions. Good luck and keep us posted.

I went ahead today and called Lexus Customer Satisfaction line. The Rep told me that they will be getting back to me within two business days. I'll be waiting.

OKEH, I am afraid that my end of my problem will result in something similar to that of yours. What ever the end result is, I do not believe that this type of sound is the type of things that made the lexus brand so popular. My fingers are crossed.

I went ahead today and called Lexus Customer Satisfaction line.  The Rep told me that they will be getting back to me within two business days.  I'll be waiting. 

OKEH, I am afraid that my end of my problem will result in something similar to that of yours.  What ever the end result is, I do not believe that this type of sound is the type of things that made the lexus brand so popular.  My fingers are crossed.

I suggest you register a complaint with the NHTSA for this complaint, I have and suggest everyone who has had similar problems do the same.

I say this because a couple of days ago , Toyota is recalling around 3/4 million suv's and trucks for suspension and steering problems, mainly due to poor assembly of ball joints.

I am convinced my vehicle has this problem and is getting worse, but Lexus continue to deny any probelm although they now acknowledge they can hear the noises but are unwilling to fix the car , saying it is not a safety issue.

Lets see when someone has an accident if they can continue a cover up.

I am going to try to go through the chain of command that was printed in our owners manuals. The rep from Lexus called me last tuesday regarding my issue. She stated that she will try to work with the dealership in town here first, and see if they can come out ahead of this problem. She said that she will get back to me as soon as she can. I haven't heard from her since. I hope that the next time I hear from her, I will get better results from her than that of the dealership. :whistles:

I am going to try to go through the chain of command that was printed in our owners manuals.  The rep from Lexus called me last tuesday regarding my issue.  She stated that she will try to work with the dealership in town here first, and see if they can come out ahead of this problem.  She said that she will get back to me as soon as she can.  I haven't heard from her since.  I hope that the next time I hear from her, I will get better results from her than that of the dealership.  :whistles:

I have been through that route, tokk the BBB to get them moving, they are always full of promises.

My dealership is SteVens Creek , San Jose, and although they have been very helpful and understanding, even to agreeing thereis a noise, they cannot replace the parts due to Lexus being stubborn, I think they understand my problem and even gave me a complementary 30000 mile service, now no dealership would give away $700 worth of servicing if there wasnt a problem.

Anyway, ggod luck and I'll keep watching and waiting.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi kh046,

I have the exact same problem with my 04 RX330: There's a popping cracking noise when you are going over bumps, dips, pulling out of driveways and sometimes at slow speed turning left or right.

I would greatly appreciate to hear if you ever resolved this problem.

It looks like I will have to do the same thing you done to fix my problem.

Probably the front strut mount bushings. Check with a wrench and see if the bolts are loose. If they are dried out or cracked the strut in moving around in there and making noise. If you are going to the trouble to replace the bushings you may as well do the strut cartridges & links. Also check the ball joints as well.