Check Engine Light On For The 8th Time!

flanker271

Well, this annoying light has been coming on and off for about 2 weeks now. Ever since I obtained the vehicle 3 years ago, I replaced EGR modulator 2 times and replaced all four oxygen sensors, replace air filter 2 times, etc. Just last month the check engine light came on again and the dealer said that a probe is dirty. The technitian cleaned it and the light went away. For the past 2 weeks, however, the light has been coming on and going off intermediately. Usually when I start the car in the morning, the light would come on. Then about 10-15 minutes after driving, the light will go out. After that, the light would come on and go off randomly. What could be the cause of this? Is this another probe/detector issue or at worst my catalytic converter?

If I can't find a solution I think I'll just remove this annoying light because the car drives perfectly, I get 20mpg local and 26mpg on the freeway. Everytime the light come on while driving it gives me this psychological feeling that something terrible is about to happen.

Well, this annoying light has been coming on and off for about 2 weeks now.  Ever since I obtained the vehicle 3 years ago, I replaced EGR modulator 2 times and replaced all four oxygen sensors, replace air filter 2 times, etc.  Just last month the check engine light came on again and the dealer said that a probe is dirty.  The technitian cleaned it and the light went away.  For the past 2 weeks, however, the light has been coming on and going off intermediately.  Usually when I start the car in the morning, the light would come on.  Then about 10-15 minutes after driving, the light will go out.  After that, the light would come on and go off randomly.  What could be the cause of this?  Is this another probe/detector issue or at worst my catalytic converter? 

If I can't find a solution I think I'll just remove this annoying light because the car drives perfectly, I get 20mpg local and 26mpg on the freeway.  Everytime the light come on while driving it gives me this psychological feeling that something terrible is about to happen.

Yank it, the cluster comes out easy enough.

I'm guessing that you don't have the shop manuals that tell you how to obtain the codes from memory? If I remember right, there are two specific wires in the diagnostic connector under the hood that need to be jumpered. Then the computer flashes the codes for you. The codes then will tell you what is wrong by matching the listing of error codes in the book. There might be something on this site of someone that might have already posted the "how to" on this. My manuals are still boxed from the move and I don't have a scanner.

Don't try it unless you have the exact instructions. Good luck.

Thanks for the information. I know the procedure but I'm not confident enough to do it. I've heard bad stories about how people fry their ECU after jumping the connectors. I might have multiple codes stored in the computer because the engine light come on and go repeatedly. It could just be a faulty sensor though.

How hard is it to ID the two pins on the connector and jump them? They are clearly labeled.

The ECU is trying to tell you something is wrong  so do it a favor and....

Not hard at all...

I hope the car knows that I've been babying it ever since I got her...I hope she will do me a favor and at least be trouble free for a while!