94 Es300 1st Timer With Questions ?

I just purchased a beautiful 94 ES300 from a second owner who had the car serviced at an independant shop. I have all the records for the past 7 years. She was conscientious about bringing the car in for ANY problems so I know the problem I have is a new one. I drove this new jewel up to my house and the CHECK ENGINE light went on -- not even one day in my possession! I was told that the ABS light has had a history of coming on and off because of a problem with the sensor after the CV boot was replaced. Other than a few minor things, this car has been basically trouble free. It drives like a dream, but now I'm afraid to drive her to work tomorrow. I have a mechanic I trust who loves working on Toyotas and has no problem working on Lexus. However, I didn't think I'd have to start my Lexus career at the shop. Any thoughts before I dig deep into my pocket?

Then I'll ask my array of other pesky little questions.

P.S.I read many of the posts and think this forum is THE BEST!

Re: the egr valve. Are you saying that it is affecting the ABS light (vs. the check engine light)? AND if so, should I replace it or ignore it?

Thanks to this board I realized that the check engine light came on because I didn't screw down the gas cap cover like someone (thank you very much) suggested.

whenever you get a check engine light, have the code(s) read.

I have said this before, it may be as simple as a loose gas cap and as expensive as an EGR valve replacement. You never know until you find out what code it is. Then consult someone that knows the codes. Often times codes pop up due to the effect on a sensor by simple things and not the sensor itself. For example, force filling you gas tank can set off the vapor sensor in the charcol canister.

Simple things to do:

unscrew your gas cap and put it back on again. Make sure it screws in until you hear the clicking.

when you fill up at the pump, don't put more fuel in after the gas pump's automatic shut off has stopped fuel delivery.

These two items commonly cause "check engine" lights

don't always go by what the previous owner said. They may not really know either.

steviej

;) Dont' panic. I just sold my 96ES300 a few weeks ago and when I had it I had the same thing happen. Typically, it's nothing to do with a mechanical defect in the car, and more to do with more minor problems setting it off. As a matter of fact the light came on right after my car was serviced with Lexus. Although it took them 2 trys to get the light off they did resolve the problem quickly. My issue had something to do with a charcoal cannister. Anyway, here's my recommendation. Take it to a Lexus dealer. You'll pay a bit more but my experience through the years has been that they can resolve the problem quicker as they know their cars best. Plus, if they don't, and the light comes back on, they will take care of you to your satisfaction until it's resolved. As least that's been my experience. Good Luck and enjoy that car!