1996 Ls400 Ps Pump/hose, Maybe Alternator

ECUPirate

Hello. I recently acquired a 1996 LS400 w/ 132K miles. Nice car... Pearl white body w/ gray lower body cladding with the 5-spoke star wheels like on 99-00 models. Anyways, I took it to the dealer yesterday to pull a service history. It has recently had the plugs, wires, water pump, tires and brakes replaced. I also found out why the car was sold. A few weeks ago the dealer determined that the PS pump was dripping onto the alternator, and the 'customer declined service'. Not that I blame him... nearly $1,500 for a new PS pump and high-pressure hose is a lot (that included 5-6 hrs labor and parts). That didn't seem to include a new alternator.

I may be giving this car to a family member. If so, this needs to be fixed soon. Any thoughts regarding how to not spend $1,500? Does anyone know of any reputable mechanics in the DC area who have LS400 specific experience? Steve? I know you're a local. If it works out, the car will also need a 15K service at 135K, and so forth. I've also got a Chrysler that needs some work too.

Thanks guys.

Did you go the same dealership the previous owner went to?

I just purchase 92 LS400, when I called the nearest lexus dealer to ask about service record, they told me to get the record from previous owner dealer.

Thanks!

reman ps pump is 100$ from the autozone and its easy to change yourself!

you are the first person who got this problem with the genII ls400 i know of

this problem is common with the 90-94 ls and was fixed on the later models, well, i guess it happens, but its a pretty easy thing to change, its a shame it happend to a car with such lower mileage.

Well, it turns out that the PS pump and the alternator were replaced after all. The previous owner didn't like the price the dealer was quoting for the repair so he had a Lexus tech do the work on the side. The repair just isn't in the dealer's computer. Everything is fine now.

The family member who was interested in the car ended up getting his Mercedes fixed (read: I fixed it) so now he's going to keep it. So, the LS400 is going up for sale. Anyone care to make an offer before I put it in the paper?

Thx for the help, BTW.

My p/s failed too, but not until almost 225k miles on my '95! ;)

In my earlier ignorant years, the dealership advised me that my 96 LS "power steering pump was dripping onto the alternator". This was at 99,000 while doing the timing belt. I said "fix it", then complained when they told me how much the final bill was. They reduced it.

Now on my "new" 91 LS, I replaced it myself with the Autozone. Put about 30K on it since and couldn't be more pleased.

Good luck. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
ECUPirate - check your private message.  I've suggested a very good mechanic I have worked with and personally know.  He does incredible work.

Hi PK_Lex,

I am in the DC/Arlington area and looking for a good mechanic, preferably Lexus certified. The dealership prices are too rich for my blood. There is a Japanese Auto Repair in Arlington area but not sure of their performance plus their prices aren't far oiff from the dealer either

. I have a 98 LS 400 with 103K miles on it and want to get the 90K services performed. Timming belt replacement and a tune up. Thanks for any help.

I have gotten my car's timing belt, water pump and tune up (plugs/wires, fuel injector service) done at a Shell gas station in Ellicott City, Maryland. This was about a month ago, and the car is running great since then. I personally know the guy who owns that place, and also know the service people there. The mechanic is very qualified to do anything on a lexus and I'm more than satisfied with his work. Last year he changed the complete front and back suspension and it has been flawless until now. They charge very reasonable price, much less than the dealer and do a high quality job. Very friendly people to work with and they will never do anything that is not required unlike the dealers. I've been to almost every dealerships in Maryland and ended relationship on a sour note.

Their number is (410) 465-8537. Ask for Sami and do mention my name, Alamtab. I can guarantee you that they'll do excellent job and you will not be disappointed.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck.