Warning: Rx400h Wheel Change

Just got this letter from my dealer. They received this warning for all RX400h owners saying don't change the wheels on this vehicle. They even took the 10 spoke wheels off the accessory page on the Lexus website. Check out this MS Doc file.

post-9649-1114775690_thumb.jpg

I also saw that warning. I believe that both the RX400h and the Rx330 have the same gross weight limits and therefore this is a statement to satisfy lawyers. I bought a set of Highlander original equipment wheels and intent to use them with snow tires.

Ron

Just got this letter from my dealer.  They received this warning for all RX400h owners saying don't change the wheels on this vehicle.  They even took the 10 spoke wheels off the accessory page on the Lexus website.  Check out this MS Doc file.

You would think that a wheels should have a fairly generous safety factor for loads due to vehicle weight. Even if the 400 weighs 500lbs more than the 330, that's a piddling 125 lbs per wheel. I guess in a sue-happy society, though.........

scoobie - To each his own, I guess. I like the Rx400H OEM wheels and find the chrome too gaudy. I guess I also never saw the point on spending money on a fashion statement that close to road hazards. I keep my cars long enough that sooner or later the wheels pick up some imperfections.

Rx400H - I expect there is some safety factor, but people don't always obey the gross load limits. Also, remember that the force isn't always evenly distributed between the wheels and there are conditions where additional g-forces (e.g. deceleration, bumps) cause more force than the mass of the car. These wheels also have to transmit all the extra torque this car can deliver which leads to loading very different from the Rx330

As an engineer I do put extra margin on my designs but that is partly because things happen beyond what we plan. One doesn't want to be responsible for another Tacoma Narrows bridge. I'm sure Lexus is very aware of the recent problems other companies have had with SUV tires. In addition, the Rx400H wheels are part of a very complex control system with all the stability control and such. I'd be hesitant to fool with its parameters.

Since there have been reports of some dealers attempting to foist wheel "upgrades" onto customers to get extra mark-up on the car, I hope this letter at least gives people additional ammunition to refuse the "upgrade" and get the orignal wheels put back on.

"Since there have been reports of some dealers attempting to foist wheel "upgrades" onto customers to get extra mark-up on the car, I hope this letter at least gives people additional ammunition to refuse the "upgrade" and get the orignal wheels put back on."

Absolutely! My dealer is doing this too, and I've put him on notice that I will not accept this practice on my 400h.

As for the memo, it is not just a legal issue... its a saftey issue. What you are missing is that the 400h produces considerably more torque than the RX330. So using rims designed for those vehicles could result in stress fractures over time and ultimatlely catastrophic wheel failure...

Just say no!

"Since there have been reports of some dealers attempting to foist wheel "upgrades" onto customers to get extra mark-up on the car, I hope this letter at least gives people additional ammunition to refuse the "upgrade" and get the orignal wheels put back on."

Absolutely! My dealer is doing this too, and I've put him on notice that I will not accept this practice on my 400h.

As for the memo, it is not just a legal issue... its a saftey issue. What you are missing is that the 400h produces considerably more torque than the RX330. So using rims designed for those vehicles could result in stress fractures over time and ultimatlely catastrophic wheel failure...

Just say no!

I assume the "you" in "what you are missing" doesn't mean me who you quoted since I also pointed out the effect of extra torque. Absolutely agree on the safety issue.

There is a lot that went into the design of this car. For instance they had to be careful about what tires they chose to handle the torque. I wouldn't want to fool around with its dynamics. It's a safety issue.

For Lexus/Toyota and hybrids, a failure here could also be a big PR issue.

Good point, Patt and Skyfish about the huge increase in torque that the RX400h has. Since I normally design fixtures and products that are not subject to large stresses, safety factors are a much less critical part of my job. BTW, I closely examined the RX400h wheels last weekend and I really like their design and paint quality. In fact, the exterior paint is also very impressive.

dealer put chrome lexus wheels on my wife's 400 and added the scam markup...she doesn't even like them, how legit is this letter? and can we use this as ammo to get stock wheels back on? (shes had the car 4 a week and half)

I would try that. The letter makes Lexus's position on the wheels pretty clear.

stiksandstones, Did you get a comment card in the mail to fill out for Lexus about your purchase? Our salesman was pretty clear that they want a good card sent in and if we had any problems we should call him to see if they could be worked out before we complained about it or downrated them on the card. We did have a concern come up about a week later so I called him back. It was very promptly resolved.

In your place, I would give the salesman a call and ask if they will restore the original wheels to the car and remove any extra charge for the chrome. If that didn't get a satisfactory response, I would send the dealership a letter asking for the same thing with a copy of the Lexus wheel letter enclosed. In the past, I have found sometimes a business will turn down request made over the phone and then agree to it once they have been presented with it in writing.

Best of luck!

Might anyone here have any thoughts regarding the use of snow tires on the 400?

18" wheels are not only extremely limiting toward a choice of tires, but generally a bit more rubber and less wheel is considered better for winter driving, as are narrower tires.

I'm wondering how one might select the "proper" 16 - 17" wheel to stay within Lexus' guidelines?

I'm unaware of a rating system for wheels as per measured torque, although one may well exist.

Sorry for the duplication, as I originally posted in the wrong area in error.