Should I Or Shouldn't I ?

DCG

Hi, I have a Lexus ES300 1993. 135k. I love my Lexus. I want my Lexus, but is it worth it to fix it up or should I just get another car? Here's what I face:

BRAKES: Pads aren't difficult to change. In fact, I picked up pads yesterday and began changing them. *Problem* I purchased new tires and it appears that the shop stripped the locking lug on passenger side front. I couldn't get it off. Any ideas? Why do lexus owners go to these Discs that have holes in them?

MUFFLER: I was behind a truck who ran over part of a blown tire which started bouncing all over the road and ended up under my car. Now the exhaust is louder than usual and it rattles. How much does an exhaust system cost? What should I consider in an exhaust system?

OIL LEAK: I've got the standard oil leak problem. Smoke and oder through the vents. Funny thing is, it doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes not for days or a week. Other times it smokes and smells like hell. People will stop me and say "Look at your car smoking". Why? How much?

CD PLAYER: Took the car into the shop to replace the VC gasket to stop the leaking. CD Player worked fine before I got there....dead as a roadside kill

when I picked it up. Course the mechanic denied any responsibility and is since out of business. Leak came back. Is there maybe a fuse or something for the CD player?

CLUSTER PANEL: The speed-o needle is gone. The tach and temp on the way out.

All lights and mileage work except the area around 110 mph and 140mph and the gas. However with a sharp bang to the dash everything will work. Sure like those blue cluster boards.

HEAT SWITCH: Driver side heat switch doesn't work, won't stay in postion.

WINDSHIELD: The rearview mirror came off last week as I was adjusting it.

Course, with it, came chunks of the windshield. I have a 1/2" crack where the mirror was and these chunks of glass. How much to replace a windshield?

Also, I have 2 areas of rust at the top, where the w/s meets the car body.

ANTENNA: The power antenna no longer works. Course neither does the radio, but as I posted elsewhere. The radio just needs "HELP".

FRONT SEATS: The leather on the side corners of the front seats is worn out

exposing the cushions. How much do new seats cost? How about seat covers?

I saw covers for about $225. Can I put new seats in myself?

HOOD: Well, The shocks on the hood are gone and as I was charging the battery the hood came down on the charger and it buckled a bit. I'm not sure if it can be worked out or if I can or should just replace it.

FRONT FENDER: Yep, Son had a minor conflict with another one of my cars.

Fender needs to be replaced. Is this something the average person can do?

Is the Bumper trim flexible, or does it need to be replaced too? How much?

DENT IN BACK: The drivers side of the car looks fine. I will sometimes stand and admire it. However the passenger side is a different story. There's a dent about 12" , almost round, on the side just before the tail light. fix-a dent won't do it.

Any ballparks here?

DOOR TRIM: The passenger bottom outside trim panels are fine, they're just not on the car. Seems to me that if I had the brackets and clips that this is something that almost anyone could do. Would you agree?

WHEEL BEARING: I get this ticking sound from the right wheel everytime I make a left turn. Someone said it sounds like a wheel bearing. This is probably outside my mechanical abilities. How much?

FRONT GRILL: The very bottom of the front grill, the closest body part to the road is a tad banged up. Might as well replace that as well.

PAINT: It's going to need paint. What are your experiences with paint jobs.

How much?

TIRES: Front tires are new, back I need to replace. What size tires do you think look the best? If you go from say 15" to 17" do you need to replace the rims as well?

STRUTS, SHOCKS, SPRINGS: What's the difference? How do you tell if they're good or bad? Why performance springs? How much are these things?

OK.... it's alot, The motor and trans seem fine. a/c and heat work well. Moon roof is fine. Car rides very well. So... do I pimp my rod, or let it go? Seems to me that if I go out and spend $5 or $6k to pimp my rod, I,ve got a great looking car and one more dependable than if I'd go out and spend say $12k on a newer car.

What would you do? Your responses should be interesting and I look forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas.... Thanks, Dave

give us a day or so, we will reply.

just kidding

lmao cam!! :lol:

DCG, I would suggest you get the main 'mechanical' items fixed on the car first & the other items that are let's say 'cosmetic' on the back burner for the time being.

Focus on the brakes, exhaust & oil leak to start with.

Do you have a good, reasonably priced mechanic? if not, ask friends & family to recommend one......The ES is very mechanically similar to the Camry V6 as you know so parts & repairs should not be astronomical.

Having trouble with the 'driver side heat switch' you mentioned.......are we talking about the heated seat? :unsure:

Another suggestion for the other items, some of these things can be purchased at an auto salvage yard or auto wreckers such as the windshield, hood shocks, perhaps even the exhaust system, fender & grille etc. IF you have to replace ALL these items brand spanking new, I suggest cutting your losses & finding another car as you will most likely spend more than the car is actually worth in the end considering the year of your ES.

f you change the tires from 15 - 17", yes you will need new rims as well & the 17" tires will be much more expensive than the 15".....no matter what type of tire you get. What are the current 'new' tires on the car now? B)

:cheers:

Lexus freak, Good advice. How about the wheel bearing, do you think that should be higher up on the list than say the exhaust?

The heat switch.... yep the seat. Not a biggy

DCG

what car would you want if you sold the Lexus? what price range?

Kid ... Hmm ... How bout your 04 ES300? Seems to me that a 1993 ES300 would sell retail for about $4000 low end $7000 high end. I wouldn't get that for mine. That's just what I have to play with. I own this car and could invest enough into it to increase it's worth and have a fine running machine. Since I just bought a new Mazda Tribute I'm not about to go out and buy another new car. I think a 98 ES300 with about 80k might run about $12000. Course i'd probably have to put some maint. $ in that as well. DCG

what car would you want if you sold the Lexus? what price range?

Kid ... Hmm ... How bout your 04 ES300? Seems to me that a 1993 ES300 would sell retail for about $4000 low end $7000 high end. I wouldn't get that for mine. That's just what I have to play with. I own this car and could invest enough into it to increase it's worth and have a fine running machine. Since I just bought a new Mazda Tribute I'm not about to go out and buy another new car. I think a 98 ES300 with about 80k might run about $12000. Course i'd probably have to put some maint. $ in that as well. DCG

DCG, not sure what to advise about the wheel bearing.....what is the price of that part new? :unsure:

To be blunt & honest about your above comments......if you 'invest' some $$$ into your ES, you won't get any additional cash for it if you sell it (if you did were talking MAYBE a couple hundred bucks if that).....a potential buyer would expect most these items to work & be in good condition or they have more 'bargining' power to lower your price if you see what I am trying to say. I would price out the most important items discussed before (including the wheel bearing) & decide whether it's worth keeping & repairing the car, or cut your losses & plan on replacing it with a newer ES. If the repairs & parts run into the thousands, I think the writing might be on the wall IMO. ;) Keep us posted!

:cheers: