18 Inch Vs. 17 Inch Wheels

jetman

I just took delivery of my RX 330 last week. Vehicle came off the lot equipped with 18 inch wheels. My question is what, if any, differences there are in ride and/or handling characteristics between these wheels and the standard 17-inchers. Are there advantages to one over the other? I believe nearly every RX 330 on the lot had 18 inch wheels - are most of the vehicles sold with this option?

It's not so much the diameter that determines ride quality (all other things relating to the suspension being equal), but rather, it is the aspect ratio of the tires. Generally, the smaller the ratio (width to height), the stiffer the sidewall and the firmer the ride. I've ridden on jarring 15-inch wheel/tire-equipped cars and super plush 18-inch wheel/tire-equipped tires. It all depends upon the aspect ratio.

I just took delivery of my RX 330 last week.  Vehicle came off the lot equipped with 18 inch wheels.  My question is what, if any, differences there are in ride and/or handling characteristics between these wheels and the standard 17-inchers.  Are there advantages to one over the other?  I believe nearly every RX 330 on the lot had 18 inch wheels - are most of the vehicles sold with this option?

All RX330's come with 18 in wheels at the dealer where I bought mine. I believe it is a $250 option, if I recall correctly.

As RX400h said, a lower aspect ratio would give a stiffer ride, and normally when one installs larger diameter wheels, a lower aspect ratio tire is chosen (compared with the base trim) to make the tire circumference equal. So I'd expect the 18 in wheel version of the car to have a stiffer ride than its 17 in counterpart.

As far as advantage of one over the other, it depends on your preference and driving style. In the case of the RX330, I believe there are more tires available (different brands) for the 17 in size than the 18 in size, so there may be a cost advantage to the 17 in.