Gps/navigation System (aftermarket Vs. Oem)

Hi,

I have a 2002 GS 300. I have the stock audio system without any GPS.

Now I want to have a GPS/Navigation system installed.

Any reccomendations on aftermarket units?

I've seen several webpages with pictures of units, but they all seem awkward or out of place, or you have to rip out your original audio system and dash (which I don't want to do).

For example, there is a Pioneer GPS/Navigation unit where the screen flips out of the unit, but the pictures I've seen don't look so great (i.e. when open it ends up blocking the air vents or the climate control buttons, etc.)

Another unit I've seen are some stand alone units (Magellan 750 Nav Plus, Garmin Nav man 630), etc. But those also look out of place sometimes too.

Is there anyway to get the OEM Nav system installed? I asked the dealer and he said unlikely, or even if so, it would cost >$5000.

Any units that could be easily installed without tearing apart the dash? (i.e. in the area where the ash tray is, etc.)

Thanks.

it is possible to install the factory system nav unit in a 98 gs. but you would want to find one from a salvaged gs not a new system from the dealer. no lexus dealer has ever sold the whole system new because the parts needed add up to 10,000.00 new. the reason it was only a 2000.00 option when new is they eliminate all the other parts when they put in the nav system. so the best way is to find a used system but even that would cost the same as the option when car was new around 1500.00 to 2000.00 from a salvage yard. you need the whole nav, radio climate control. the nav computer from the trunk, a hard disc drive not dvd based. the antenna and the wiring harness for the digital avc-lan system connection. i know a gs300 owner who did it and it wasnt that difficult.

• 1 year later...