Rx400h Navigation Input

three questions about navigation on the RX400h:

1. can you input addresses into the navigation when the car is in motion or do you have to stop first?

2. can you watch DVD movies on the RX400h?

3. is the navigation the same one in the current GX470's?

You can't put in addresses while you are moving, but you can do some things like choose a destination from a set of 6 or 7 pre-programmed destinations.

You can watch a DVD if you get one with the rear DVD system.

its the gen4  nav same as the gx and o5 rx. cant input addressess in any nav while moving. violation of traffic laws.

In California, there is an exemption to the TV screen law for "navigation systems," so in fact using a navigation system while driving isn't illegal (at least in CA). My BMW let's me enter addresses at any speed. Of course the irony is that the stupid NAV system by BMW is so user-unfriendly and attention sucking, it is far more dangerous to use while driving than the one in our Lexus!

I think the decision by Lexus/Toyota to hobble their navigation system while in motion is more of a safety "liability" issue than a "legal" one.

Does anyone know if there is a way around entering addresses while the car is in motion. When my wife and I go on trips one of us is the "navigator" and the other drives. There should be a button on something that allows the front passenger to have full access to the nav features while the car is in motion.

This is my first post on LOC, so be nice :P

Since they already have a sensor for the front passenger seat so that the airbag can be activated when a passenger is present, it would have been nice if they allowed address entry when that seat is occupied. I guess if they did that some people might strap a weight in to override the Nav lockout.

If you had the addresses in advance, you could put them on the destination "radio buttons" which stay active when the car is in motion. I still need to get into the Nav manual. I want to check to see whether there is a way to set a button up for things like nearest gas station which would be the sort of thing I'd like when in motion.

• 4 weeks later...
Since they already have a sensor for the front passenger seat so that the airbag can be activated when a passenger is present, it would have been nice if they allowed address entry when that seat is occupied.  I guess if they did that some people might strap a weight in to override the Nav lockout.

If you had the addresses in advance, you could put them on the destination "radio buttons" which stay active when the car is in motion. I still need to get into the Nav manual. I want to check to see whether there is a way to set a button up for things like nearest gas station which would be the sort of thing I'd like when in motion.

just puch the voice command button on your steering wheel and say some thing along the lines of "gas station" or "POI on" (in the exact samw words) works in my GX :cheers:

[just puch the voice command button on your steering wheel and say some thing along the lines of "gas station" or "POI on" (in the exact samw words) works in my GX :cheers:

>>Where can I get a list of voice commands for the navigation system?

I printed some lists which were available on Prius sites:

Look for the file called “Prius NAV Voice commands.xls” in the Files section of the Yahoo group:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/2004-prius/files/ .

PriusChat files has an edited version of the above.... grouped commands by function.

I think I prefer this but I had already printed the first list mentioned above.

Many of the navigation systems are manufactured by DENSO :

http://www.denso.com.au/dw/satnav/satnav_gen.htm

DENSO is an OEM supplier to Ford, Toyota, Lexus, and Jaguar in the Australian market (and also in North America... different company names are used?)

I also printed the "How To..." pages in the Lexus RX 400h CD. I will put them in the car for use. I also burned a CD copy of the Lexus.exe program and media/welcome file to use in the car's CD player (supposedly I can play the audio of the Lexus CD). I wanted to put the original CD in a "safe" place in the house and use the copy in the car. Due to size, I had to burn two CDs.

i never got a "how to" cd 4 my GX....the avaibible voice commands should be in your instruction manual

ON Rx400h no commands in instruction manual only a note to see the help screens :(

I took a digital camera and took a photo of each help screen, several dozen to make my own manual.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...
i never got a "how to" cd 4 my GX....the avaibible voice commands should be in your instruction manual

ON Rx400h no commands in instruction manual only a note to see the help screens :(

I took a digital camera and took a photo of each help screen, several dozen to make my own manual.

Ron

And the really fun thing is that when I enter a voice command it doesn't understand it will often interpret it as something totally different and suddenly do something odd. For instance, I've had it announce that it was moving the temperature setting to the coldest - takes a lot of punches on the temp button to get the temp back to normal. My husband had it do the opposite - moved the temp to hottest. Sometimes I've not been able to come up with any connection between the words I've said and what it thought I asked for. At this point, I'm a little hesitant to use voice unless I'm sure what I'm using is in its vocab. I wish it was more like the phone systems that ask Did you say x? before they take an action.

Ron

Could you post the files with the photos somewhere?

In my experience the voice commands are useless, I've never once gotten them to be recognized properly.

I find suspend and resume (for navigation) to be useful - particularly when I know I'm deviating from the course I set for a while and don't want it to keep telling me to turn. Those two seem to work fine.

I understand that there is an aftermarket chip that can overcome the lockout feature - does anyone have any information on it?

There is one for the Prius - see:

http://www.coastaletech.com/nav_kit.htm

I don't know if it will work on the RX, but as somone who owns both the RX400h and a 2005 Prius, I've yet to see any differences between the Nav systems on them, so there's probably a decent chance that it will. BTW - on the RX400h the Nav box (with DVD etc.) is under the tool tray in the back of the car, not under the front seat as it is on the Prius - it takes some disassembly to get to it.

Let us know if you decide to try this and manage to get it to work on the RX.