'd' Light On The Instrumental Panel Is Out...

e2vincent

Hi All:

I owned a '99 RX300 and 'D' light on the Instrumental Panel is out for the second time. First time was fixed by the dealer under warranty. I guess I need to fix it myself this time.

Anyone have done it before ? Please share your experience....

BR,

V.

From toyo in linked thread by tunedrx300:

Ok, this is for everyone except for Ederny, what a prick!

Follow these instructions and it should take you no longer than 15 minutes.

1. Remove 2 screws at the top of the black bezel around the cluster.

2. Pull trim piece straight out on the left of the steering wheel, the trim that houses the seat memory switch.

3. Pull trim piece straight out that is around the key.

4. Tilt steering wheel all the way down.

5. Remove black bezel around cluster, start from the bottom and pull out.

6. Remove 2 screws holding cluster in. They are on the side of the cluster.

7. Pull cluster out enough to get your hand behind and unplug the 3 connectors.

8. Remove cluster from car, you will kinda have to move it around a little bit to get it out, be careful not to scratch the lens.

9. Lay cluster face down on a soft towel.

10. You will see a white plastic cover on the back, remove the 8 gold colored screws holding this cover on.

11. Pull cover off, turn the cluster over and look where the gear selector letters are, on the oppisite side you will see 3 black and 2 green little cap looking things. These are the bulbs. Simply unscrew to remove. you may swap the park light bulb for the drive bulb. Or you can order one in advance.

12. Put all together in reverse order.

13. It sounds like alot of steps, but it is all very easy and understandable once you start.

Hope this helps. Steven

Hi Steven:

That's should be no problem, since I've taken out the cluster from my '93 LS400. Estimate a couple hours of work. One question I have is will the airbag light be on after I put it back together ? This happens on the LS400 and I need to do a wire dance on it to turn it off.

I will post pictures of step-by-step along with Steve's instructions (to his credit) after I got it fixed. Hopefully I can get to it this weekend.

BR,

V.

From toyo in linked thread by tunedrx300:

Ok, this is for everyone except for Ederny, what a prick!

Follow these instructions and it should take you no longer than 15 minutes.

1. Remove 2 screws at the top of the black bezel around the cluster.

2. Pull trim piece straight out on the left of the steering wheel, the trim that houses the seat memory switch.

3. Pull trim piece straight out that is around the key.

4. Tilt steering wheel all the way down.

5. Remove black bezel around cluster, start from the bottom and pull out.

6. Remove 2 screws holding cluster in. They are on the side of the cluster.

7. Pull cluster out enough to get your hand behind and unplug the 3 connectors.

8. Remove cluster from car, you will kinda have to move it around a little bit to get it out, be careful not to scratch the lens.

9. Lay cluster face down on a soft towel.

10. You will see a white plastic cover on the back, remove the 8 gold colored screws holding this cover on.

11. Pull cover off, turn the cluster over and look where the gear selector letters are, on the oppisite side you will see 3 black and 2 green little cap looking things. These are the bulbs. Simply unscrew to remove. you may swap the park light bulb for the drive bulb. Or you can order one in advance.

12. Put all together in reverse order.

13. It sounds like alot of steps, but it is all very easy and understandable once you start.

Hope this helps. Steven

Just went to Lexus of Austin. Here is the part info.:

Bulb with Socket 83119-24670.

I wonder there is a after market part that has longer lasting life than this one ?

BR,

V.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out this thread, if I were you, I would replace the bulb with a LED.

Could you post what is the bulb type?

D bulb replacement

Just went to Lexus of Austin. Here is the part info.:

Bulb with Socket 83119-24670.

I wonder there is a after market part that has longer lasting life than this one ?

BR,

V.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out this thread, if I were you, I would replace the bulb with a LED.

Could you post what is the bulb type?

D bulb replacement

Thanks for posting the Lexus part #, but I am more interested the generic bulb type that any reputable bulb manufacturer can make (e.g. headlight bulb would be 9005). I would like to replace the incadesant bulb with a small LED, which has average life of 100,000 hours.

• 3 weeks later...

My rx D light is burnt out too...and the entire light that lights up the gear selector where the tranmission shifter is at. Mentioned it to the dealer when i got an oil change done one day..n he said they were willing to do the job..but it will take a long time to do it..and it would cost me a lot of money. He said this was so minor..and he pretty much recommended me not to do it..cuz the cost was unreasonable ..for that kind of job. I can stll tell where what gear position i shift to...so i took the service advisors suggestion and didn't do the job. Pretty nice of him to not scam me for the $$$ and being honest.

My rx D light is burnt out too...and the entire light that lights up the gear selector where the tranmission shifter is at.  Mentioned it to the dealer when i got an oil change done one day..n he said they were willing to do the job..but it will take a long time to do it..and it would cost me a lot of money.  He said this was so minor..and he pretty much recommended me not to do it..cuz the cost was unreasonable ..for that kind of job.  I can stll tell where what gear position i shift to...so i took the service advisors suggestion and didn't do the job.  Pretty nice of him to not scam me for the $$$ and being honest.

I find it a little humorous this thread generated so much interest. Those idiot gear position lights on the instrument panel are more annoying than useful, I guess it depends on how you learned to drive, when I shift gear on an automatic, I look at the shifter itself rather than the panel to tell what gear I'm at. When driving, those lights are not part of my scan pattern so I wouldn't even know it if mine were out.

I changed the tiny light bulb and it took me 2 hrs. It is easier to put it back in then to take it out.

I took a bunch of picture thought I can create a step-by-step thingy. Anyone done it before ? I have about 25 pictures...

I changed the tiny light bulb and it took me 2 hrs. It is easier to put it back in then to take it out.

I took a bunch of picture thought I can create a step-by-step thingy. Anyone done it before ? I have about 25 pictures...

Please post those pictures

• 1 year later...

I replaced 4 of the bulbs with LEDs. I left the '2' and 'L' bulbs in place ... they are very rarely used.

I purchased the LEDs from an Arizona-based firm called 'AutoLumination'. I am in no way associated with this firm.

They have a direct replacement called "Neo-Wedge". No fiddling with removing the bulb from the bayonet holders, etc. The appropriate page is at:

http://autolumination.com/74.htm

Good luck.

I replaced 4 of the bulbs with LEDs. I left the '2' and 'L' bulbs in place ... they are very rarely used.

I purchased the LEDs from an Arizona-based firm called 'AutoLumination'. I am in no way associated with this firm.

They have a direct replacement called "Neo-Wedge". No fiddling with removing the bulb from the bayonet holders, etc. The appropriate page is at:

Good luck.

Thanks, I assume it is the super white you ordered?

Good luck.

Thanks, I assume it is the super white you ordered?

Yes, the super white. It changed the color of the 'N' and 'D' icons from a dull green to an icy blue ... which I quite like.

• 10 months later...