Speedometer Doesn't Work Until....

blake918

About 2 weeks ago I noticed my speedometer doesn't work all the time in my 1995 LS400. I found out that if I hit the dash above the the cluster, the speedometer will start working. All of the lighting is 100%, and all of the other gauges are reading normally. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be?? A loose connection somewhere maybe? Also, if I decide to switch out the cluster, will the dealer have to set the mileage, or does the car's ecu keep track of it? BTW, the car has almost 254k miles.

Mileage is stored on a chip inside the cluster. If you swap then you'll either need to switch the ckt. board where the chip is or have the dealer reset it.

Could just be a loose connection somewhere, but you'll have to take it out to check.

Blake- typically when the speed sensor goes out, this will happen, but since it starts again when you belt the dash board, it does seem like something is loose. I have never heard of this happening before. Perhaps a relay that controls it is on the fritz? Not sure. Good luck.

About 2 weeks ago I noticed my speedometer doesn't work all the time in my 1995 LS400. I found out that if I hit the dash above the the cluster, the speedometer will start working. All of the lighting is 100%, and all of the other gauges are reading normally. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be?? A loose connection somewhere maybe? Also, if I decide to switch out the cluster, will the dealer have to set the mileage, or does the car's ecu keep track of it? BTW, the car has almost 254k miles.

• 3 months later...

My 93 LS does this during the summer months. The tachometer and speedometer both fail to move off "0". In my case, the speedometer has the problem more often than the tachometer, but many times they both fail to work. Obviously, the two needles are affected by the same problem (capacitor, relay, poor ground???). However, they can both be activated by rapping on top of the dash directly over the instrument panel. The problem gets worse as the weather gets hotter.

Jim Walker repaired my instrument panel in November, 2003. He fixed the problem of the display not lighting when the weather was cold. I also discussed with him this problem of the two needles not moving. He indicated at that time that he was aware of the problem but had not been able to come up with a fix for it. I have not communicated with him recently, but I assume he is still working on it.

I am not sure I would go to the hassle of removing the panel and sending it off just to fix this problem. A couple of raps on the top of the instrument panel is a very cheap fix.