Strange Problem-headlights To Starter

This is a new one on me. I'm working on a friends '94 SC400 that has me baffled. The problem is that the starter motor runs every time the headlights are turned on, whether the ignition is turned on or not. This even happens if there is no key in the ignition.

The problem seems to be in the low beam circuit, as when I pull both fuses for the low beams the problem stops. Pulling the headlight realy also stops the problem, but changing out the relay does not. Pulling the high beam fuses has no effect.

I also see that the voltage to the starter relay drops from 12.6 to 10.2 when the headlights are switched on.

The starter motor turns the engine at a good speed, and it sounds like it wants to start, but the engine will not run. After it had chugged a little, trying to start, it seems like the starter motor will not stop running until the ignition is switched off. It's not that the starter won't disengage, but that it's still getting electricity to turn.

I've done a visual inspection of thewiring harness as best I could, but it looks to be in normal condition, with no obvious signs of cuts or being crushed that I could find.

I'm out of ideas, and don't know where to look.

Any help?

Mike

Well the power to the headlights could never power the starter so it is more than likely in the low voltage cuircit.

I would check inside the steering column or if it had a remote starter that scerwed up and was abandoned.

Basically i feel the wiring from the stalk has shorted to the 12vdc starter wiring causing it to turn over.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot.

Mike

Well the power to the headlights could never power the starter so it is more than likely in the low voltage cuircit.

I would check inside the steering column or if it had a remote starter that scerwed up and was abandoned.

Basically i feel the wiring from the stalk has shorted to the 12vdc starter wiring causing it to turn over.