New Owner - Suspension Problem Ls400

jbatast

Hi. I am new to this club and hope you can help.

I just purchased a 1997 LS400 with 65K mile on it. The steering wheel is beat up, I think from rings, it has a few scratches on the outside (no major dents) and it is marked up on the back bumper. It is gold in color with brown mats. I just put on Cooper tires (lifeliner touring which are just ok). The car has the Nak stereo, traction control and NO auto suspension. It has the Gold badges. I am the third owner. I paid $17,000.00. I love this car. Do you think I over paid?

First - It does have one problem. The car makes a “clunk” when I travel over certain bumps. For example, if I make a left hand turn across the road into a parking lot that has a raised concrete lip of an inch or two, the suspension makes a clunk (as if it bottoms out) when it hits the lip. This happens regardless if I am on the brake or not. Also, if I travel on a bumpy road, the car handles ok, but if I travel the same bumpy road and apply the brakes, it make the clunk noise over the bumps. I tend to loose some control in the steering that is the steering feels loose. I am convinced it is not brake problem related.

Lexus and two other mechanics all hear the problem but cannot determine what it is. They say everything looks tight. They do not think it is the struts. Neither do I. I think it is a bushing problem on one of the bars (strut, sway, upper/lower control arm… I don’t know and everyone uses different names for the same bars…it would be nice to know what the correct names are?). I have read a lot of the forums but I am confused as to what the problem is.

Second – Though I don’t believe I have a strut problem, I am thinking of changing my struts/springs. Has anyone tried the Monroe “Limited” shocks on the LS400. The T. Blues are not made for the 1997, that leaves the KYB-2, TEIN TYPE CS DAMPER KIT and Bilstiens. Any suggestions.

Third – Is there a intake kit for the 1997 LS400? I think there are for the first gens but not the 1997 model.

Lastly, do I need to replace the timing belt? Can I remove the old gold badges by myself and replace with new ones? If so, how.

Thanks for the help. I love this car.

hi, i beleive i got the same car as yours and the differnce is only year, i changed struts already but my mechanic told me to stick to original parts so i installed original ones, as to the timing belt, you might wait another 10k if you want to, i have 120k already and i still didnt change it, in our engine it is not that critical, even if the belt will brake it will not kill the engine, labor for this is a lil bit costly so you should do everything at the same time, also get the original parts online at www.newlexusparts.com, its almost 2 times cheaper then getting parts from the local lexus dealer. As to the $ u paid for your car, i think u did overpaid a little bit, i got mine 2 years ago for 13200$ for 85k miles on it. I was lookin for it for couple of month and i bought it at the auction.

to find a good intake is a big problem for our generation II cars. there are cheap models available, but you dont want to install cheao stuff into that car. i'm constanlty looking for it online and at the local stores and i will be able to find it i will let you know. If you will find it faster please let me know:)

regards. Vit

Thanks. I feel better knowing I paid to much. :lol::lol::lol: Just kidding. Did you change the bushings when you changed the shocks. I think I read one of your previous posts. Did the stuts fix the problem or did the bushings. I can't seem to get a good answer. I will likely change the bushings first. It is cheaper.

Thanks. I would still like to know about the Monroe and other choices of shocks.