Gas Filler Lid Opening Problem

vyhanh

Hi,

My son's 91 LS400 (145K) has developed the following problem since winter and I thought with the warmer weather, it would go away but not so:

When we pull into the gas station to fill up, no matter what we try (leaving the key in all ignition positions; taking the key out, leave the engine running), when we pull the gas filler lever to open the filler lid, the lid does NOT open. it has only been opening haphazardly after:

1. banging on the lid

2. pulling the gas filler lever inside the car

I am worried that one day, it will give up altogether and we cannot fill up !!!

Any thoughts?

TIA

VH

Hi,

My son's 91 LS400 (145K) has developed the following problem since winter and I thought with the warmer weather, it would go away but not so:

When we pull into the gas station to fill up, no matter what we try (leaving the key in all ignition positions; taking the key out, leave the engine running), when we pull the gas filler lever to open the filler lid, the lid does NOT open. it has only been opening haphazardly after:

1. banging on the lid

Any thoughts?

TIA

VH

Hi vyhanh,

I had same problem with my 1991 ls400 and all I did was lube the pin that sticks out (to hold gas cap cover) with white lithium grease. It's been 6 years now I did that, and still works well today.

It seems over the years the pin just starts sticking and the solenoid isn't strong enough to pull it in.

Reason I use lithium grease is so that it works in winter as well. Daffy

Hi,

1. banging on the lid

Any thoughts?

TIA

VH

Theres a spring in the door that breaks. Get someone to hold the lever while you pry the door open with a little screwdriver. If that works then you need a new spring. At your Lexus dealer ask a service writer if he can get a mechanic to slip one in for you in the service isle for a tip. It takes a second to do and costs very little for the spring. Mine broke on my 91 at 145k also.