Abs Light On After Axles Replaced?

Hello all.. found this forum today and searched through looking for some information and didn't quite find what I was looking for.

First off: I know next to nothing about cars.

Yesterday I had repairs done on my ES300. Both the front axles needed to be replaced. Something about the gears in the axle being messed up.

Well the shop did the repairs and the car drives great, however, the ABS light in the dash is on now. Always On, not intermittant.

When we called the shop to report the problem, they indicated that:

A: this is a common problem and most people just drive around with that light on. Its certainly nothing to worry about.

B: The work they did had NOTHING to do with the brakes or could be associated with why this ABS light is on. (implying its not their problem anyway)

My owners manual says that if this light is on, and the brake light is not... then my brakes will continue to function like normal brakes, just without the ABS system. But that I should take the car to a Lexus Dealer for service.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with driving the car with a "warning light" always on. Is this something I should worry about? I am planning to take the car back to the shop tomorrow or Friday, and am hopeful that maybe I could be armed with the ammunition necessary to make the shop fix whatever they broke.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

SkepticalJS

A: this is a common problem and most people just drive around with that light on.  Its certainly nothing to worry about.

B: The work they did had NOTHING to do with the brakes or could be associated with why this ABS light is on. (implying its not their problem anyway)

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with driving the car with a "warning light" always on.  Is this something I should worry about?  I am planning to take the car back to the shop tomorrow or Friday, and am hopeful that maybe I could be armed with the ammunition necessary to make the shop fix whatever they broke.

First off, I get the sence that you took it to an independent mechanic and not a Lexus or Toyota service shop.

A: total bullfunky. It is most definately NOT a common problem.

B: More bullfunky. If they replaced your axle(s) or even replaced just the CV boot, then the axles had to come out. To get them out, the wheel, brake rotor, brake caliper and hub nut had to be removed. The ABS sensors are fragile. If they used a sledge to get your axle out (that is common practice...not good...but common) they may have damaged a sensor ring in the either hub. If the light wasn't on before you went in and is on after you came out, something is not right and the shop most likely caused it.

Now, to give the benefit of the doubt to the shop, they may have disconnected an ABS wire so that they wouldn't damage it and just forgot to reconnect it.

Bring it back to them and give them a chance to fix it. If they don't own up to it and fix it, then tell them you will take it to a Lexus repair shop and then tell the original shop that you will take them to small claims court to get reimbursement for what the Lexus shop charged you to fix what they caused in the first place.

steviej

I agree it is either disconnected or they broke a sensor.

The sensors are small magnetic pickups located you guessed it around the CV joint where it attaches to the wheels hub.

The probably used a hammer to pund the cv out.

They broke it and should pay for it.

You will probably need to replace the hub as well while it is being done.

Atleast i would change the hub now since you can only use an abs sensor once it will never come out if removed ,only crumble.