Can I Repair An Ls430 Chrome Wheel?

CherryLS430

I have a 2003 LS430 with the OEM 7-spoke chrome wheels. The wheel was damaged this week against a curb. The damage was to an extent where the sidewall of the tire was deeply gouged just below the bead and had to be replaced, and the wheel suffered a 4" long gouge / scrape along the rim.

post-16936-1112407104_thumb.jpg

One dealer told me that they 'have a local guy' who covers their (Lexus) dealership, as well as a local Mercedes dealer. He apparently simply grinds and polishes the damage, with no chrome repair for ~$125. A tire dealer told me about Wheels America . . . their website indicates they perform a more comprehensive repair (welding, grinding, polishing, and chrome repair) for a $250 flat fee, regardless of manufacturer. The Lexus dealer cautioned that they see a lot of different aftermarket chrome wheels (new and repaired) running the gamut from good to poor.

1. Is such a gouge realistically repairable? By this I mean a correct, economical repair . . . or is it better to try to find an OEM wheel through a boneyard or on ebay?

2. Does anyone have advice for me on what are my options?

3. Does anyone know the composition of the OEM wheels? Are they a cast aluminum alloy? A magnesium alloy wheel? Would anyone know the ASTM #?

Thank you.

Once the chrome plating is gouged you can't just repair & replate the damaged area. Chrome plating is usally a 2 to 3 step process. Normally under the chrome is nickel or some other metal plating before the chrome plating is applied. I've used Wheels America before & am impressed with their level of repairs. $250 sounds quite reasonable considering the price of a new wheel.

I have a 2003 LS430 with the OEM 7-spoke chrome wheels.  The wheel was damaged this week against a curb.  The damage was to an extent where the sidewall of the tire was deeply gouged just below the bead and had to be replaced, and the wheel suffered a 4" long gouge / scrape along the rim.

post-16936-1112407104_thumb.jpg

One dealer told me that they 'have a local guy' who covers their (Lexus) dealership, as well as a local Mercedes dealer.  He apparently simply grinds and polishes the damage, with no chrome repair for ~$125.  A tire dealer told me about Wheels America . . . their website indicates they perform a more comprehensive repair (welding, grinding, polishing, and chrome repair) for a $250 flat fee, regardless of manufacturer.  The Lexus dealer cautioned that they see a lot of different aftermarket chrome wheels (new and repaired) running the gamut from good to poor.

1.  Is such a gouge realistically repairable?  By this I mean a correct, economical repair . . . or is it better to try to find an OEM wheel through a boneyard or on ebay?

2.  Does anyone have advice for me on what are my options?

3.  Does anyone know the composition of the OEM wheels?  Are they a cast aluminum alloy?  A magnesium alloy wheel?  Would anyone know the ASTM #?

Thank you.

TRY THIS "WWW.CAPITALWHEELS.COM"

GOOD LUCK...