Exterior Door Stripping Coming Off...

Hey ya'll,

Any recommendations for the BEST possible way to reapply stripping around the bottom of our GS doors..? One of mine is slightly cornering away on the driver door.

Thanks for your input and ideas,

TEK

Not like it's a good value or anything, but I just got I price quote from the local Lexus dealership on that strip. At the dealer, $49 for the part and 30 minutes of labor to install it. Mine are starting to tear on both sides, so it'll run me about $200 if I don't do any of the work myself.

Soooo....

Replacement is the only option, yeah??

I mean.. the damn thing's only hangin' off the corner, so spendin' more than 100.00 Canadian to get it fully replaced just sounds like madness..

no other fixes, boardies??

thx,

Hey, it's only a $40K+ car. Let it hang. I mean the cost of the repair is certainly not worth it. If you wanted a cheap fix as opposed to the correct fix, you should have asked for the cheap fix.

Update: Cheap fix found! Clear tape!

I replaced both of mine in Feb. Only one needed it but I did both. I ordered the parts from the dealer and put them on myself. They came painted. If you have ever changed the oil in your car before then you can do this repair. That lower door trim is held on with 5 screws. The lower plastic outside panel on the door skirt is held on by 5 threaded screws that have a black plastic end on them, they need to be removed in-order to get to the screws that hold on the molding. All you need is a short Phillips head screw driver and a wrench or socket (not sure on size, I think its metric). The trick is ordering the right pieces thru the dealer. It took me two times. Make sure you tell them if the vehicle is two-toned or not. To make it easier on you I will tell you what I ordered:

Molding #75736-30172-A1 $30.12 ea

Bin screws (5 for each side) #90164-50047 $1.24 ea

TOTAL = $72.64

I ordered some retainers and some outer clips but didn’t need them. It took me 30 minutes once I figured out what to do. You may have to push out/bend the outer panel on the door skirt out a little to get to the screws that hold the molding on, but it will pop back in place.

If you need anymore info please feel free to ask. :cheers:

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...