Steve-o Shops For A Car.............

93LSOwner

Well, I am looking for a good solid vehicle for school next year. This will be my third car, still got the last two just not under my belt anymore.

This is the second Audi I have encountered in the paper, though I have not seen them in person. This one is 1999 A4 $8k with only 73k miles V6 2.8L Quattro 5-speed, not too sure about the manual transmission though.

I’m going to be posting car listings which I seriously consider until I purchase one. So, feel free to suggest or comment on anything relating to the topic. B)

Sample pictures at edmunds:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1999/audi/a4/1...idenav..9.Audi*

Ya I would steer clear of the Audi because of the above mentioned. My friend had an 1996 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro 5-speed for the past two years and he's selling it right now so he can get a Scion tC instead. He liked his Audi, but he got sick and tired of paying for the maintenance on it. Another thing to consider (if you are into this), an A4 2.8 V6 is hard to modify because parts are very expensive and they are even hard to locate. My friend had a heck of time trying to mod his car's engine and the suspension was a PITA for him to work on (he upgraded the shocks and springs). If you are into engine upgrades and mods, I suggest the A4 1.8T because the engines are easier to mod. Speaking of diagnostic equipment, he bought the "VAG tool" to read and clear fault codes on his car (forgot how much it cost). As far as reliability goes, the only problem he had with it was that the moonroof motor stopped working (cost him around $300 or so). Other than that he hasn't had any problems. Great car, but expensive to maintain. Good luck with your search.

People I know who owned an Audi loved them until they broke. Then they hated them because things kept breaking. Too bad German reliablility isn't what it use to be. If you want a little hotrod, check out the Nissan Sentra SER You can pick up a used 2001 or 2002 for under 10 grand. They are fast and dependable, I miss the one we had, a very fun car to drive especially when driving agressively in traffic.

Thanks everyone. I trust you guys judgment and will stick with that. I was looking into another Audi, 1999 A6, but I think I'm just going to leave it at that and look at some others for now.

I love LOC. :cheers:

People I know who owned an Audi loved them until they broke.  Then they hated them because things kept breaking.  Too bad German reliablility isn't what it use to be.  If you want a little hotrod, check out the Nissan Sentra SER  You can pick up a used 2001 or 2002 for under 10 grand. They are fast and dependable, I miss the one we had, a very fun car to drive especially when driving agressively in traffic.

Ya it's a shame German reliability isn't that great because a lot German cars look really attractive, but the maintenance/reliability issues are a turn off for me. Almost forgot about the Sentra SER, ya that's quite pocket rocket. I didn't care for those red w/ fishnet like seats though, but for the price you pay for the power can't be beat.

Thanks everyone. I trust you guys judgment and will stick with that. I was looking into another Audi, 1999 A6, but I think I'm just going to leave it at that and look at some others for now.

I love LOC.:cheers:

What other cars are you considering now?