Check Engine Light Just Came On

We just bought a 2001 Lexus ES300 and the engine light just went on.. i checked the gas cap etc.. any way to tell what this is or what it could be?

the dealer is being non-responsive but wants to charge for the test. Just got it 2 weeks ago.

it has 38k miles. Any course of action to take?

We just bought a 2001 Lexus ES300 and the engine light just went on.. i checked the gas cap etc.. any way to tell what this is or what it could be?

the dealer is being non-responsive but wants to charge for the test. Just got it 2 weeks ago.

The good news is that most check engine lights come on because of emmissions components so you should be safe driving the car (assuming it is running right). Have you talked to the dealership manager instead of the service manager? When I have problems at a dealership, the dealership manager usually is more willing to help out. Isn't it still under warranty?

I take it the car was originally registered before March 30, 2001. If not then the original 4 year/50k mile warranty should be in effect. If so then any Lexus dealership should cover it.

Was it a Lexus dealership that you purchased from? If so, is the car a CPO. If it is, then the CPO 3yr/100k warranty should cover it.

If not a Lexus dealer, what kind of warranty did you get. You should have at least gotten a 30 day one.

Either way, go to Autozone, they will read the codes for free. post them up here and we can better help you.

steviej

If not a Lexus dealer, what kind of warranty did you get.  You should have at least gotten a 30 day one.

steviej

Unfortunately most aftermarket warranties offered by used car dealerships only cover engine & powertrain problems and not simple things like 02 sensors, EGR valves, etc which is probably where his problem lies.

I think the dealership should look at it for free anyway. Although the car is 4 years+ old, it is still under the mileage allowance on the warranty. If you sweet talk them you may be able to get some warranty coverage on it.

If not a Lexus dealer, what kind of warranty did you get.  You should have at least gotten a 30 day one.

steviej

Unfortunately most aftermarket warranties offered by used car dealerships only cover engine & powertrain problems and not simple things like 02 sensors, EGR valves, etc which is probably where his problem lies.

I think the dealership should look at it for free anyway. Although the car is 4 years+ old, it is still under the mileage allowance on the warranty. If you sweet talk them you may be able to get some warranty coverage on it.

my friend had the same issue- jiffy lube ran diags on it and said he was using cheap gas- he emptied the tank and filled it with premium or something from mobil and the light went away.

these engines are picky- and for a good reason., they last forever when taken care of.

P.s.- the stealerships (some) are like that, they have your $, what do they care now? they don't

actaully it has a 70k mile powertrain warranty from the Acura dealer i bought it from. They took it to the lexus dealer down the street to diagnose.

It was not only the "check engine light" but it was also the "traction control" light.. that was illuminated. my wife didn't tell me that until i got home to look at it myself.

actaully it has a 70k mile powertrain warranty from the Acura dealer i bought it from. They took it to the lexus dealer down the street to diagnose.

It was not only the "check engine light" but it was also the "traction control" light.. that was illuminated. my wife didn't tell me that until i got home to look at it myself.

i bet it's the gas. maybe it's got water in the tank.also- make sure the gas cap is securely screwed on. that tripped a light on my mitsubishi once.

they think its a charcoal filter for emissions. Never heard of a charcoal filter on a car. but hey, learn something new daily. BUt i am just confused of why the "traction control" lamp is on as well and not just the engine light.

they think its a charcoal filter for emissions. Never heard of a charcoal filter on a car. but hey, learn something new daily. BUt i am just confused of why the "traction control" lamp is on as well and not just the engine light.

I am not surprised. The charcol canister is known to give out. lexusk8, member here, had this same problem. You dealer should give you a break but they probably won't go the whole route for covering the cost. As it is part of the emissions it is not considered part of the powertrain.

CEL (check engine light) + TRAC OFF light = the car is in safety mode. The ECU will limit the cars functions to run in a reserved state until the offending malfunciton is rectified.

I always say this....you never know what the problem is or could be until you get the codes read and post the exact codes to find out. There are hundreds of codes and code combinations that will trigger the CEL light inaddtion to other reminder lights (TRAC OFFm VSC, Battery, Oil pressure, Oil level, etc).

Lastly,

Although the car is 4 years+ old, it is still under the mileage allowance on the warranty.

I think you will find the original warranty is up 4 years from the initial registration date of the car or 50,000 miles --> whichever comes first.

steviej