Need Help! No Brake Lights....

george1

well i have a 91 ls400 and the brake lights quit working along with the car being stuck in park, w/o pushing the over-ride button.

there was water in the tail lights before. i'll fix that problem, btw how does the water get in?

so i checked all the fuses under the hood and under the dash, and they're all good.

are there any fuses elsewhere? is there one particular fuse for the brake lights? i dont have a fuse layout for the ones under the dash, but they all look good.

i did replace the "lamp failure" box in the trunk cause it looked burnt inside.

i also checked for power at the brake pedal switch and there was none.

what else can i check out? is there another brake light module somewhere in the car? is there a fuse for the lights?

any help would be appreciated.

Probably a stupid question but did you inspect the bulbs? :blushing: and the bulb holders for corrosion.? Is the brake failure warning light on the dash on?

I don't have the wiring diagram, but the brake pedal switch may just be a ground to complete the circuit and may not be a hot wire.

Fuse #1 in the driver kick panel fuse box controls the brake lights.

Probably a stupid question but did you inspect the bulbs?  :blushing:  and the bulb holders for corrosion.? Is the brake failure warning light on the dash on?

I don't have the wiring diagram, but the brake pedal switch may just be a ground to complete the circuit and may not be a hot wire.

Fuse #1 in the driver kick panel fuse box controls the brake lights.

yeah the bulbs are new.

there is no brake failure warning light, nor does the shifter release from park when stepping on the pedal.

when you say driver kickpanel, do you mean under the dash or on the side next to the emergency brake pedal?

what are all the locations for fuses in this car? :( the only fuses i've found are under the dash driver's side and under the hood in the plastic box.

btw, thanks for the reply. :)

On a 93 and probly same on the 91, a 25A "Stop" fuse in the fuseblock to left of steering wheel column provides power to the stop light switch. Coming off of the stop light swtch, pin 1 is is a green wire with a white stripe that carries power to the transmission shift lock ECU and the same stop swith contacts provide power to the light failure sensor which feeds through the light failure sensor to the stop light filaments. Obviously, a blown 25A "stop"fuse or an open stop light switch would cause both your problems.

is this "stop fuse" just a regular fuse located under the dash along with the others? if it is, all those fuses are good.

i was looking through this post and it had a wiring diagram of the brake light circuit.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=18223

basically, the car doesn't have power to the green/white wire. if the fuse isnt burnt, then what gives?

does someone have an exact location for this "stop fuse"?

Sounds like a bad brake pedal switch to me. If the brake pedal switch is "open" and unable to close the circuit when pressed, that would cause no brake lights and no brake electrical interlock to release the shifter. if you can short out the switch, get somebody to check your lights.

The fuse box is just to the left of the brake pedal up under the dash. On my 91 there is a diagram of the fuses printed on the cover. The STOP fuse is the only 25A fuse in the fuse box.

Jeff's diagnosis sounds good. I'd try a jumper wire around the switch to see if you can force it on. I didn't crawl under there so i don't know how difficult that will be. :whistles: If it's not the switch, seems like the next probable culprit would be the brake light sensor in the trunk.

thanks for the suggestions guys.

fwiw, my car didnt have the kick panel when i got it so i couldnt tell which is the stop fuse.

i'll go check everything later today and see what i can find.

i already replaced the black box in the trunk. i just dont have any power at the brake pedal switch. i'll triple check the fuse ciruit.

FIXED :D

yup the fuse looked good but was melted a bit. changed it out and bingo, got brake lights.

also found a separated wire in the pack of wires that go from the trunk lid to the main part of the car. the big yellow wire just separated from repeated bending of the wires every time the trunk is opened. so all the brake lights work now.

also the car gets out of park when i push the brake now.

i guess the lamp failure light should come on now if i have a bulb failure also.

thanks for all your suggestions guys. :cheers: