Big Problem, Please Help!

moune

This weekend I ran over some debris and got a hole in my exhaust filter. After that I started smelling exhaust fumes in my car and had no power in my accelleration at all. I was only able to go about 20-30 mph. I took it to the exhaust shop and was told that my exhaust system was still fine. But they noticed that my catalac converter(I think that's how you spell it) was glowing red. So they say that either there is too much gas going thru or not enough. But I did noticed that I'm down almost half a tank of gas with only 75 miles. So I'm thinking somehow its buring to much gas and is causing the catalac converter to clog up to close down. Please help, I am taking it to the mechanic today to get it checked out. I would like to know what the problem is before I take it to him. Thanks

This weekend I ran over some debris and got a hole in my exhaust filter.  After that I started smelling exhaust fumes in my car and had no power in my accelleration at all.  I was only able to go about 20-30 mph.  I took it to the exhaust shop and was told that my exhaust system was still fine.  But they noticed that my catalac converter(I think that's how you spell it) was glowing red.  So they say that either there is too much gas going thru or not enough.  But I did noticed that I'm down almost half a tank of gas with only 75 miles.  So I'm thinking somehow its buring to much gas and is causing the catalac converter to clog up to close down.  Please help, I am taking it to the mechanic today to get it checked out.  I would like to know what the problem is before I take it to him.  Thanks

could be an ignition coil/cap or rotor( depending on your year you either have electronic ignition-coil, or mechanical-distributor/caps/rotors). the fact that you hit something could be coincedence.

when this happens, all cylinders are getting fuel, but only a few are firing, sometimes 6, sometimes 4, it douns like 4 from your description (so half the cylinders). the ones that arent firing are stil getting fuel, and it isnt burning, so it dumps into your exhaust where its burnt in the cats. unfortunately this is not good for the cats. anytime you cat is glowing red, its not usually a fuel delivery problem, but an ignition problem. most of the time i see this the fuel system is working fine.