Upgrading Nav System

The 98 gs has a hard drive computer not a dvd navigation unit. the dealer charges over $10,000 for the parts new so obviously no one has ever bought one off a dealer. you need the nav sreen a new single din radio, the antena, and the hard drive computer and 15 feet of digital cable. your car should have the pioneer system now not the nakamichi system because the nak amp is in the trunk where the navigation hard drive computer goes. the pioneer amp is behind the glovebox. the only difficult part of the instaltion is running the digital cable. the other wiring is already preinstalled at the factory except for the digital cable. a good price for a WORKING SYSTEM USED WOULD BE FROM 1000.00 TO 1500.00. THE HARDEST PART TO FIND USED IS THE ANTENNA. IF YOU HAD TO BUY THE ANTENNA FROM THE DEALER THAT ALONE IS 850.00 SO ITS BEST TO FIND THE COMPLETE SYSTEM USED. THE HARD DRIVE SYSTEM IS ACTUALLY BETTER THAN DVD BUT MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE DVD SYSTEM SO THEY QUIT OFFERRING IT AFTER 2000.

I think maybe you misunderstood me?? I hope. It already has the nav system in it, I thought it was the dvd one, I guess you set me straight on that one. Thanks. Is there a way to upgrade the existing hard drive in my car? Is ther an upload or something I can do that will not cost me an arm and a leg?

Thanks Again

I recently upgraded the Nav system in my 2000 LS400. I ordered a new hard drive (with the latest nav data) for $230 via the internet from a dealer in Illinois. The replacement was easy. All the instructions were provided with the drive. The entire operation took about 10 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I recently upgraded the Nav system in my 2000 LS400. I ordered a new hard drive (with the latest nav data) for $230 via the internet from a dealer in Illinois. The replacement was easy. All the instructions were provided with the drive. The entire operation took about 10 minutes.

What is the site to order hard drive upgrade for the Nav. Much appreciated.

Mad

• 7 months later...

The link to video-nav.com is no longer working.

I know these posts are a year old, but if anyone is still out there who can put me on to the Web site for a replacement hard drive for the Nav. system, I would appreciate it.

thanks in advance for your help.

I'm with you Pigzrule, I just picked up a 98 GS400 last night. I love this car! It seems a bit quicker than the 97 LS400 I've been driving, and a lot faster/smoother than the 2001 RX300 my wife has.

The only big issue I have with it right now is that the Navigation system has stuff on it from 1998. It's missing the street I live on! (my house is 3 years old, brand new tract). Any way to upgrade it without spending an arm and a leg?

• 2 months later...
I'm with you Pigzrule, I just picked up a 98 GS400 last night.  I love this car!  It seems a bit quicker than the 97 LS400 I've been driving, and a lot faster/smoother than the 2001 RX300 my wife has. 

The only big issue I have with it right now is that the Navigation system has stuff on it from 1998.  It's missing the street I live on!  (my house is 3 years old, brand new tract).  Any way to upgrade it without spending an arm and a leg?

I also just bought a 98 GS 300 w/ factory NAV, but my NAV was aparently updated in 2001. This would make me think it is not a hard drive system, or at least an easily updateable one. The previous owner stated that the dealer used a CD to update, but that may have been an assumption.

I'm with you Pigzrule, I just picked up a 98 GS400 last night.  I love this car!  It seems a bit quicker than the 97 LS400 I've been driving, and a lot faster/smoother than the 2001 RX300 my wife has. 

The only big issue I have with it right now is that the Navigation system has stuff on it from 1998.  It's missing the street I live on!  (my house is 3 years old, brand new tract).  Any way to upgrade it without spending an arm and a leg?

I also just bought a 98 GS 300 w/ factory NAV, but my NAV was aparently updated in 2001. This would make me think it is not a hard drive system, or at least an easily updateable one. The previous owner stated that the dealer used a CD to update, but that may have been an assumption.

THE UPDATE IS DONE AT DENSO CORP IN CALIFORNIA. THE DISC DRIVE HAS TO BE TURNED IN TO THE DEALER OR 600.00 CORE CHARGE. THE ACTUAL UPDATE LIST PRICE IS 400.00 BUT AN INTERNET LEXUS DEALER WILL DO IT FOR 260.00 EXCHANGE FOR YOUR OLD DISC DRIVE. THE SALESMAN IS IN DALLAS AT SEWELL LEXUS. LOOK UP ON INTERNET OR CALL DARYL AT 214 353 2826 HIS DIRECT LINE FOR INTERNET SALES.