Simple Gas Question

I am starting a new job and I will be driving my car alot.The company pays for gas but only for 87 octane.My car has 100k and Ive only run premium Ive read all the post on gas and the different results.This company will not negotiate on this at all.Any advice?Ive thought about octane boosters but I hate to run this in every tank of gas and Im not sure I believe in boosters that much.What do you guys think?Could there be any damage if I were to run boosters in every tank?

P.S. I was told that the president of the company figures if it is good enough for his Jaguar its good enough for all cars.Maybe if he had a Lex he would be a little more passionate about what he put in it. :lol:

Simply fill the car with the higher octane and expense the per gallon rate for the lower octane. Do the math on your receipt. If its a company gas card ask accounting to do the math and have them tell you what you owe periodically. You will be following their rules and treating your car correctly - my opinion.

Well apparently they give you a voucher for so many gallons of regular not a card.Turbo any opinion?

V=

Can you use that voucher for another car that you may own? Talk to the service station manager will they allow you to pay the difference from regular to premium. If all this falls through, just use the octane boost, and fuel injector cleaner every other tank. You only need to jump it up 4 points, so don't go overboard. I'd also make sure you use a good gas like chevron to start with. Do they offer anything for additional maintenance for all the extra miles put on your car, you know maintenance is not cheap on the Lex? Maybe you'd be beter off parking the Lex and going with a cheap honda or toyota if you're thinking about doing this for awhile? Or maybe a motorcycle? B)

I use to own a Jeep I used for a similar job but my ex took it along with my house,boat,dog well just about everything.Anyway Im planning on buying something for this as soon as the paychecks start rolling in.They do pay maintenance tires,tranny flush,oil changes etc. But who knows thell prob. try to give me continental tires and Walmart brand oil!Hopefully this will be extremely short term until I can buy something else.Im going to try to work something out with the station where I can pay the difference but who knows.In the meantime if I do use a boost what do you reccomend?Ive used some previoulsly when Id go to the track but I think these only bumped it up 1-2 points.

Forget the octane boost, you need 30 to 40 points. I think you may have to blend octanes. Also maybe go to the station and find someone who's buying gas anyways and see if they'll trade you voucher for cash. Your best best is to try and sell the vouchers or get the station to let you pay the difference, shouldn't matter to them. Everything else is too expensive. B)

I'm interested in which company (having a CEO with a Jaguar) can't afford to put the appropriate grade of gas in an employees vehicle? The boss has a choice, supply a car that runs on cheap gas or pay for the grade that yours takes. I'm sure if you did sustain any damage from using a non-recommended grade of fuel your company would be more than willing to pay for repairs at the local Lexus dealer, right? Yeah....that's right.

If you drive 1000 miles per week, 52 weeks per year, at 20 MPG for instance, you'll need 50 gallons of gas per week. 50 gallons of premium, say $ .15 more per gallon than crude oil would equal a whopping $390.00 per year extra. That's about 5.2 hours of service at the dealer at $75.00 per hour, plus parts.

Most companies and organizations pay for personal car use on a cost per mile (or cost per kilometre in Canada) basis. This covers the true operating cost of the car for miles driven while on company business. Presently the rate here on the west coast is about 45 cents per kilometre (Can. funds). Given that system you would be free to purchase whatever brand or octane you like for tires, gas, oil, whatever, and all repairs are assumed in the cost per mile allowance as well. It is a far better system, and I am surprised your outfit doesn't do that.

The cost per mile is also applied regardless of the car driven - an average that pays well if you drive an economical car, and doesn't cover gas guzzlers. Of course if the company doesn't care what car you drive, and just fills the tank for you then I would purchase a 1972 Chrysler New Yorker with a 440 and fly at it!

As to octane boosters, save your money. They don't do squat.

My last job gave me a set amout for travel expense and it was pretty good especially because I was driving my Jeep and not my car.Hopefully soon Ill be able to afford another car to use.In the meantime Ill try to figure out a way to manipulate the system.I might just have to foot the gas for awhile.There is no way Ill ever put anything but premo in my girl.I wasnt that hip on the boosters and id rather not be running in every tank.

It doesnt I told them to take their 87 and shove it. :lol:

Stay away from Octane Boosters. I'm a writer and have written about them. They work but are more expensive then just buying the better gas because you would need gallons of them to make a difference.

If you are interested:

Here is what I did on water injection:

http://www.biznetonline.com/02-02/water2.htm

Here is the some of the stuff on Octane Boosters and the fact that they are a wast of $$:

http://www.biznetonline.com/02-02/water.htm

http://www.biznetonline.com/12-01/car.htm

On Octane:

http://www.biznetonline.com/12-01/octane.htm

http://www.biznetonline.com/12-01/api.htm

http://www.biznetonline.com/12-01/fuel.htm: