92 Es300 Overheating And Vibrations

I recently purchased a 1992 ES300 with 120K miles. I bought it for around $4000. Looking at the condition of the car I thought it was a steal. Anyways, now to the problems. After a few days of driving I noticed the car would overheat at times. The temp needle would go up and come down while driving. I know the needle is not malfunctioning. Because it will stay in the middle when i warm up the car. It goes up only after I drive around for 30 min or more. And also it won't overheat if i drive around at slow speeds. It does that only after I get off the highway after driving at higher speed. Also I've noticed some sort of vibrations coming inside the cabin. It happens only when im driving at lower speeds and the rpm is like around 2000 n up. It comes from right underneath the shift lever. I used to drive a manual car before so I have this habit of having one hand on the shift knob.. and I can really feel the vibrations and hear a humming sound.. which gets really loud sometimes and all this happens ONLY when i press the gas pedal. ..

I forgot to mention, at one time when the car overheated. I shut it off and checked the coolant tank. The whole tank was empty. The next day i filled the tank with coolant upto the full mark. I just don't know how it all disappeared. And today when the car overheated i shut off the engine and checked for the coolant. And I find the coolant level was twice as much as before in the tank. It was way above the full line and the temp needle was touching the red line. The head gaskets fine. The lexus n toyota both had looked at it. They said everything looks normal. There were no leaks at all. Im so unlucky the car doesn't overheart nor vibrates whenever i take it over to the dealership. Just does it after I leave lol

The repairs i've made so far. Thermostat was replaced. I got a new motor mount $500. Major tune-up service at toyota dealership $600. Full diagnosis at the lexus dealership $125. None were able to figure out the problem. Before I spend more on It I thought it would be better if i could get some help from this forum. The car wasn't a steal after all. Please any help would be really appreciated.

my email is xxdrlovexx786@yahoo.com

welcome to the club.

In order to help you and others with the same questions when they first get here, a member as painstakingly written a long FAQ (frequently asked questions) thread that can be found at the top of the ES forum. Please take a minute and read this as several questions will be answered.

secondly, please use the search function because you problem is not uncommon, in fact it is very common on the 92 ES. There are endless threads that cover the overheating dilemna. Limit you search to the ES forum, search on words such as overheating or radiator or power steering pump, and open the search up to at least a year.

steviej

I recently purchased a 1992 ES300 with 120K miles.  I bought it for around $4000.  Looking at the condition of the car I thought it was a steal.  Anyways, now to the problems.  After a few days of driving I noticed the car would overheat at times.  The temp needle would go up and come down while driving.  I know the needle is not malfunctioning.  Because it will stay in the middle when i warm up the car.  It goes up only after I drive around for 30 min or more.  And also it won't overheat if i drive around at slow speeds.  It does that only after I get off the highway after driving at higher speed.  Also I've noticed some sort of vibrations coming inside the cabin.  It happens only when im driving at lower speeds and the rpm is like around 2000 n up.  It comes from right underneath the shift lever.  I used to drive a manual car before so I have this habit of having one hand on the shift knob.. and I can really feel the vibrations and hear a humming sound.. which gets really loud sometimes and all this happens ONLY when i press the gas pedal.  ..

I forgot to mention, at one time when the car overheated.  I shut it off and checked the coolant tank.  The whole tank was empty.  The next day i filled the tank with coolant upto the full mark.  I just don't know how it all disappeared.  And today when the car overheated i shut off the engine and checked for the coolant.  And I find the coolant level was twice as much as before in the tank.  It was way above the full line and the temp needle was touching the red line.  The head gaskets fine.  The lexus n toyota both had looked at it.  They said everything looks normal.  There were no leaks at all.  Im so unlucky the car doesn't overheart nor vibrates whenever i take it over to the dealership.  Just does it after I leave lol

The repairs i've made so far.  Thermostat was replaced.  I got a new motor mount $500.  Major tune-up service at toyota dealership $600.  Full diagnosis at the lexus dealership $125.  None were able to figure out the problem.  Before I spend more on It I thought it would be better if i could get some help from this forum.  The car wasn't a steal after all.  Please any help would be really appreciated. 

my email is xxdrlovexx786@yahoo.com

I have the SAME exact issues as far as the vibrations go. Message me and maybe we can talk about it! I have a 92 ES300 and I paid 4500 for mine. :)

Its just weird. The car will not overheat all the time. It will overheat only when i get off the highway. The dealership left the car running for 1 hour thinking it will overheat but it didn't. It overheats only After I drive it on the highway. And i've also noticed that as soon as i get on the highway within 5 minutes the LOW ENGINE OIL.. the yellow light goes on.. And it stays on as long as im driving at highway speed.. As soon as i take the exit within a minute it would go away.. I don't know if its just a bad sensor or more to it.. Please email me if you have any suggestions.. my email is xxdrlovexx786@yahoo.com

• 1 month later...

mine does the same creepy thing

it's a 93 es 300 w/ 192385 miles on it.

The coolent is disapearing but not al the time, sometimes it overheats if i drive around for more than 30 min, sometimes not. there is no obvious leak, and when engine is warm there is pressure in the cooling system.

I'm in fog here, since I really have no clue what is going on w/ the car. A week is fine, the other week overheats.

Besides that the temp sensor that makes the fan kick in is not working although it's been recently replaced., and now the fan is @ maximmum rpm constantly (depending on the rpm of the engine). Any insight on the matter are really appreciated.

Its just weird.  The car will not overheat all the time.  It will overheat only when i get off the highway.  The dealership left the car running for 1 hour thinking it will overheat but it didn't.  It overheats only After I drive it on the highway.  And i've also noticed that as soon as i get on the highway within 5 minutes the LOW ENGINE OIL.. the yellow light goes on..  And it stays on as long as im driving at highway speed..  As soon as i take the exit within a minute it would go away..  I don't know if its just a bad sensor or more to it.. Please email me if you have any suggestions.. my email is xxdrlovexx786@yahoo.com

Did you do a search for the overheating problems you are having? :huh:

:cheers:

i just oiverheated after getting off the highway yesterday as well.. i have a 92 es300 and have NO clue where all the coolant is dissappearing to. could it be that there is coolant leaking through a gasket somewhere? now im stuck out here in costa mesa and im scared to drive it back....i dont wanna grenade the motor. when it overheats there is chocolate milk colors rust water that comes out of the overflow and it is boiling hot. we filled it with water and left it on for a while with the heater and ac on and the temp gauge didnt budge from the halfweay mark. it only happens on the highway. what is going on?!