Would The Real Nakamichi Radio Stand Up?

There has been at least one similar discussion about this, but...no definitive answer.

I just bought a 1999 LS400 which has a "full burl dash kit." The radio cutout is "obviously" a Nakamichi radio (no button on the right of the tape slot and no cross burl bar above it). But, if it exists, the word "Nakamichi" (or "Lexus Sound Sytem") is covered by the burl wood applique. And the CD changer in the dash doesn't show the word "Nakamichi" anywhere. So, I'd say it is Pioneer, but the burl dash wouldn't fit a "Pioneer" kit.

The radio/CD sounds a lot better than my old '95 ES 300 radio or my '99 RX300 radio, but..."Is it a Nakamichi, or a Pioneer." You can't pry up the epoxied venieer to check logos covered by the burl wood, so...

Anybody got any real pictures of the 1999 LS400 radio layout options? How can you tell?

Thanks,

b.

i dont have a picture but

all 90-94 models had pioneer and all 95-2000 models had nakamichi and 2001 and up have mark levinson. you can also check your amplifier under the passenger seat to make sure that it is nakamichi.

Well, not exactly. The Nakamichi was an option all throughout the model run of the LS400, from 90-00. The Pioneer stereo was always standard, rgeradless of the year. In 01 Lexus replaced Nakamichi in their lineup with Mark Levinson because of Nakamichi's continued bitchyness (they refuse to have their stereo run through a navigation screen, hence why you could never get the Naka stereo with the nav system on the LS400, or anything else for that matter).

Basically the easiest way to tell is the tuning buttons at the bottom of the radio face. If they're slotted, so that there the part that sticks out is only the center of the dial, then its Pioneer. If its Nak, the entire dial will stick out, these are the BASS, TREBLE, MID, FADE and BALANCE dials.

Also, if there is a button anywhere on the face that says "ASL" then its pioneer. This is the Automatic Sound Leveler, it raises and lowers the volume based on ambient noise. The Nakamichi does not have this function.

The Naka is a funny option. Almost all 95-97 have it (dont know about the early ones), and many 98s do also, because in 98 it came in the wood leather wheel/HID package and most of them were shipped that way. On 99s and 00s however it is fairly rare, since both those options (the wheel and the HIDs) became standard.

Its also quite rare to find a 98-00 with the air suspension, but a lot of 95-97 have it. Go figure...

How you enjoying the LS? Sweet car huh? What color did you get?

Here's some pics.

This is the Nakamichi:

Nakxstereo.jpg

This is the Pioneer:

Nonxnak.jpg

Sorry thats the best pic of the Pioneer I could find. Of course as soon as I say the Nak is rare 99-00, they all have it on ebay LOL.

Notice the different tuning buttons, and the addition of the second little button to the right of the cassette player? Thats for the ASL.

Thanks, Steve.

It surely looks like I have a Nakamichi. No button for ASL and the tuning buttons are the larger ones, too. The CD changer has no markings whatsoever that I can see (even indside the flap with a flashlight). I'll try to get a look under the passenger seat and check the amp (now that I know where it is!).

Yes. I love the car. I drove a '95 ES300 (CPO) for the past six years and loved it. When it came time to trade, we were looking for a second RX300, but then I saw this '99 Black on Black CPO LS400 and it just called my name from across the lot...love at first sight.

I'll send you a picture, shortly.

Brooks

your dash trim looks really good:) now i'm thinking of gettin one for myself, i got exacly the same radio and same temperature controls and even the cd changer door is the same, looks really good on your picture!!!!!

CD.gif

This is the inner CD box. Burl inside and out.

Well, I still can't get the file to post. I did get them in the Club Gallery. When I try to link them using the IMG button above the editor, I just copied the URL from the Gallery address and pasted it in. No soap. Dang! I feel stupid.

b.

Don't worry, I still can't make it work and I help run the place LOL.

I actually use www.imagemagician.com, its free and allows linking with the IMG code.

Actually, the burl on the inside is not part of the aftermarket kit, it comes that way. The burl on the outside however, is.

You may be able to remove that by the way, you dont seem to care for it...