Tire Air Pressure Sensor

labsr4me

An indicator on my dash came on the other day, and the symbol was not familiar...after looking in the owner's manual, I discovered it was the tire pressure sensor, indicating low tire pressure.

I stopped the vehicle and checked the tires, but none of them appeared deflated...I started the vehicle back up and the indicator went out...glitch, I thought.

Two hours later, after having parked at a restaurant for lunch, i returned to find the right rear tire half deflated. I changed it and discovered a screw embedded in the tread. I had it repaired and I replaced the spare...

Here's my question....do I need to have the sensor re-calibrated? I did not have to unplug any sensor to change the tire, so how does the sensor work?

Thanks,

John M.

Here's my question....do I need to have the sensor re-calibrated?  I did not have to unplug any sensor to change the tire, so how does the sensor work?

Thanks,

John M.

Direct Systems...

attach a pressure sensor/transmitter to the vehicle's wheel inside the tire's air chamber. An in-car receiver warns the driver instantly if the pressure in any one tire falls below a predetermined level.

Indirect System...

use the vehicle's antilock braking system's wheel speed sensors to compare the rotational speed of one tire vs. the others. If one tire is low on pressure, it will roll at a different number of revolutions per mile than the other three tires, and alert the vehicle's onboard computer.

I think Lexux uses a direct system. It is calibrated to the correct preasure. It may only take 2 or 3 lb. loss to trip. You may have a low preasure indication and after you drive for a few miles the heat in the tire will raise the pressure and turn it off. There is most likely a sensor in the spare tire too. Just looking at your tires may not tell you which one it is. That is untill you come back from lunch.

Keith

Rx330 has indirect. Quote from Car & Driver: "The RX330 has a standard tire pressure monitoring system, which uses the ABS sensors to measure slight differences in wheel speed to alert the driver to a drop in tire pressure before damage to the tire or an accident might occur." Check your owners manual about reset.

Rx330 has indirect. Quote from Car & Driver: "The RX330 has a standard tire pressure monitoring system, which uses the ABS sensors to measure slight differences in wheel speed to alert the driver to a drop in tire pressure before damage to the tire or an accident might occur." Check your owners manual about reset.

Thanks, very helpful....the tire was removed from the wheel, patched and rebalanced before being reinstalled.

I will check the manual.