A/c .... Need To Add Some R134...issues ?

mh6

I noticed that the A/C did not seem to be cooling as well I thought it should, so I picked a inexspensive gauge at Advanced Auto, kinda cool actually.....connected to the low side and it says it low. Any problem with picking up a R134/oil charge from AA and adding it ?? I think a small can should do.

Any issues with this or problems ??

Thanks for your time :)

Before extremely careful if you've never done this before. Be sure to wear proper eye wear because you can damage your eyes if the R134a gets in them. I was told that you these models run a little low anyway. My suggestion is to put a temperature gauge in the center vent & turn the a/c to max cold. If the temperature gauge drops below 38 degrees in a few minutes I wouldn't worry about it. However if the temperature doesn't get that low then add the R134a. But don't over fill it.

Look at the sight glass for the AC while it is running. Put it on MAX COLD.

Do you see bubbles in the sight glass? If so, then you can probably add a little. If not, then you don't need any.

Be careful about both how much you add and the type of oil that your can contains. If you charge with the wrong oil you can cause more problems than you currently have.

"I noticed that the A/C did not seem to be cooling as well I thought it should"

I would find another RX300 and compare the a/c output with yours. It sounds to me like you may be taking a system that is working fine and !Removed! it up.

I will check all that has been said above......I put a gauge on the low end and it says it is low. Same gauge on my Solora ....which by the way cools awesome and says it is just where it needs to be.

I would assume the gauge is correct.

Are you saying that picking up one the R134 locally avail. can charges with oil and freon is not a good idea ??

What would be your suggestions ??

Thanks for you time :)

P.S. quick follow up ......no bubbles in window, compressor engaged low end pressure says about 15-18 psi.....compressor not engaged about 22-23 psi.

Guess I need to get a thermometer as well and see what the temp is at the outlet .

I don't have a problem with the R-134a in the cans, but I do have a problem with most of the oils. Make sure you get the one that contains the oil recommended by Lexus. Most of those cans contain ester oil which is not good for your system.

Again, no bubbles in sight glass should mean that you have a full charge (or very close). Be careful filling it any more. You could damage the expansion valve.

Tom

Most reliable test is to use a thermometer in the center dash vent with the AC controls set to maximum cooling. Temps of 35-44 degrees are normal. Warmer than that indicates a problem which may or may not be related to the refrigerant charge.