Car Dying On Me!

:blink: Okay guys. Only had my GS400 for about three monbths now. When I am fueling up my car and leave the car running, on two different occasions the car has died on me when I put it in drive to leave gas station. It has only happened when I am getting gas. However, it died on me at a stop light today after I took off pretty fast at previous light. What is up with that!? The air filter is only a few months old and no warning lights of any kind are coming on. Does this sound serious or is it a minor problem. I was reading some other post about low idle problems with gs 400s, but it happened while I was braking coming to a stop.

• 3 months later...
:blink: Okay guys. Only had my GS400 for about three monbths now. When I am fueling up my car and leave the car running, on two different occasions the car has died on me when I put it in drive to leave gas station. It has only happened when I am getting gas. However, it died on me at a stop light today after I took off pretty fast at previous light. What is up with that!? The air filter is only a few months old and no warning lights of any kind are coming on. Does this sound serious or is it a minor problem. I was reading some other post about low idle problems with gs 400s, but it happened while I was braking coming to a stop.

I have had the same problem with my GS400. it has only happened twice. But each time it happened I suspect my gas was pretty low.I leave my car running while I am fueling.When I press the gas to leave and make a sharp turn the car will die on me.It will start ruight back up and then it is fine after that. I think it may be because of letting the fuel get to low....Does that seem probable ?

My initial inclination to your statement "I leave my car running while I am fueling," isn't a good feeling at all. I have always been told to completely shut off the engine prior to fueling. I think this topic was discussed not to long ago but let me ask you this: what type of gas do you use (87...) and from what company (BP, Shell...)?

What struck me first is the danger of fueling up with the engine running. Not a good idea - static electricity and all.

Second, the evaporative emission system depends on a sealed filler cap to partially evacuate the fuel tank air pressure. The cap maintains the systems integrity, and when you remove it the system is unable to achieve this, and that may be the cause of the stalling. On most cars leaving the filler cap loose will eventually trip a trouble code. Ford has now put a light on the dashboard which illuminates when the cap is loose and that specific code comes up, which saves the owner a trip to the dealer and a diagnostic charge for finding the cap loose. Good idea on their part.

i think in canada its illegal to fill your car up while its running.  haha i mean if its illegal in one country, its probly not a good idea in another

just a thought

I also smoke when I'm fueling up :chairshot: