2006 Gs New Technology!

I was just on the LEXUS.COM website looking @ the new gs series. I stumbled across a new thing about how they're designing the gauge clusters using ECD Instrumentation. Here is copied text from the website:

"This convenient feature ensures that you'll always be able to read your gauges, even if the angle or brightness of the sun doesn't cooperate. The Electronic Chromatic Device (ECD) system is activated by a sensor located in the rear window, which detects the amount of light being projected into the GS. At a certain level, the faces automatically lower their transparency level down to 30% to reduce glare and provide optimum visibility. "

- http://lexus.com/models/gs/interior.html

does anyone know or have any adeas as to how this system actually works? It it just the brightness of the lights, or tinting of the plastic covering?

Yep, I discussed this in my review.

There's a sensor under the rear brakelight that measures the ambient light and agle of the light, it adjusts the gauges to one of 7 different hue/color/brightness settings depending on that information. The change is subtle but you can definately tell, its very cool.