Oil Smell After Switching To Synthetic

sorry guys, didn't mean to start a flame war.

quick update, I just went on a 500 mile trip a few days ago and after that I haven't smelled anything. could be a fluke but we'll see what happens over the next week or so!

quick update, I just went on a 500 mile trip a few days ago and after that I haven't smelled anything. could be a fluke but we'll see what happens over the next week or so!

you didnt start it, nobody did, but im leaving before it becomes one...

there are more than sufficient resources around that have better info about synth vs non. and then you dont have to deal with weeding through the bullsh!t and the flame wars that start as a result.

nothing has started yet, but im oyut before something does, if you want info, PM me. :)

chris, it was most likely a little oil that spilled when the filter was removed. This will spill directly on the inside of the front exhaust manifold and will take a little bit to burn off.

The most annoying thing about the 1MZFE is the oil filter location, I think they designed it to leak and dribble all over the place when replaced.

steviej

The most annoying thing about the 1MZFE is the oil filter location, I think they designed it to leak and dribble all over the place when replaced.

Easy solutions to the oil dripping on the manifold problem are:

1. Use the Toyota 08922-02011 oil filter.

2. Let engine oil drain at least 3 hours or overnight

3. Use a cap wrench connected to a 3/8" ratchet to unscrew the oil filter from above (no need to remove the engine under cover)

You'll find virtually no oil drips out of the 08922-02011 filter when you remove it if the engine oil has been allowed to drain at least 3 hours or overnight. I have not tried the Toyota YZZD1 oil filter yet using this technique. Since the YZZD1 has a paper filter element like the 08922-02011 it may work just as well.

How well does the 08922-02011 filter protect a Toyota engine from wear? Over 450,000 miles and still counting in my case http://www.saber.net/~monarch/smog92.jpg

Easy solutions to the oil dripping on the manifold problem are:

1. Use the Toyota 08922-02011 oil filter.

2. Let engine oil drain at least 3 hours or overnight

3. Use a cap wrench connected to a 3/8" ratchet to unscrew the oil filter from above (no need to remove the engine under cover)

You'll find virtually no oil drips out of the 08922-02011 filter when you remove it if the engine oil has been allowed to drain at least 3 hours or overnight. I have not tried the Toyota YZZD1 oil filter yet using this technique. Since the YZZD1 has a paper filter element like the 08922-02011 it may work just as well.

How well does the 08922-02011 filter protect a Toyota engine from wear? Over 450,000 miles and still counting in my case http://www.saber.net/~monarch/smog92.jpg

i hope you dont mean you have been going that long on the same filter... :D

(i know thats not what you mean LOL)