Driving A Car Too Little ? + Dealer Maintanence ?

Geo

Bet you have not seen this come up B)

Weird problem... Not driving enough ?

We maybe put 100 miles a month in our Lexus. You know, work, church and shopping. We are lucky that work/church and shopping is only 2 miles from home.

Question, is it "bad" not to drive a vehicle. I mean, I understand that the engine and all parts need to move to get all their "juices". What is too few miles ?

Maybe this can be the excuse I can get to drive it around more ;-).

Next... Dealer Maintanance ?

We bought this 2001, ES 300 Lex as a Certified vehicle at like 44,900 miles. Great car we love it. OK, now we have to take it in for its 45,000 miles. We are only at 46,000 miles. I have no problem taking it in but should the Certification process have taken care of most of the major things that I should be concerned with at the 45,000 check ? Basicaly, what things should I really be looking into ? Don't want a bunch a stuff pushed that might be true for a car that has been driven a lot.

Everything runs smooth as silk.

Thanks,

George

you would think the dealer would have done the 45k in an attempt to help the sale of the vehicle. If they did, this information should be in their service computer. A phone call to the service manager may yield results of what service was done prior to your purchase.

your question is a loaded one in that you don't state how long it took to acquire the 1100 miles since purchase. If it has been 11 months (by my calculations) and the 45 service was not done, you may want to spring for it.

The 45 is basically oil & filter, tranny fluid drain and fill, rotate tires, new wiper blades, new air filter, a list of "checks". Probably run you about $300 at a lexus dealership.

If anything, the oil & filter needs to be changed if you haven't done it since purchase. Those should be changed at least every 6 months if you barely use the car.

steviej

I would at least start the car and allow it to run for a couple min's every day.

i wouldnt, idling is worse for it than not running at all.

i would take it for a drive once a week. make it a point to drive it to tghe store or somewhere liek that whenever you have the chance.

maybe once ever 3 months, take it on a 2-3 hour drive.

Bet you have not seen this come up  B)

Weird problem... Not driving enough ?

We maybe put 100 miles a month in our Lexus.  You know, work, church and shopping.  We are lucky that work/church and shopping is only 2 miles from home. 

Question, is it "bad" not to drive a vehicle.  I mean, I understand that the engine and all parts need to move to get all their "juices".  What is too few miles ?

Maybe this can be the excuse I can get to drive it around more ;-).

Next... Dealer Maintanance ?

We bought this 2001, ES 300 Lex as a Certified vehicle at like 44,900 miles.  Great car we love it.  OK, now we have to take it in for its 45,000 miles.  We are only at 46,000 miles.  I have no problem taking it in but should the Certification process have taken care of most of the major things that I should be concerned with at the 45,000 check ?  Basicaly, what things should I really be looking into ?  Don't want a bunch a stuff pushed that might be true for a car that has been driven a lot.

Everything runs smooth as silk. 

Thanks,

George

If that is a Certified car...then the dealer must had already done all the major things before they put it on their lot.

My experience in this kind of driving, with a 92 Honda Civic, was that it was VERY hard on the exhaust system.

Driving a mile or two at a time, it would warm up enough to allow significant condensation, but never get really hot. So there was always a lot of water in the exhaust, creating a rust problem.

Seemed like as many exhaust repairs as oil changes :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: