05 Gs430 Wheel And Tire Noise!

Just upgraded from a 96 GS300 to an 05 GS430. I've got the factory 17" wheel package. (235/45/17) and have about 3000 miles on it. I have been back to the dealer 3 times about a loud humming sound that starts at 5 mph and only gets louder. They have repeatedly told me that it is "...coming from the tires and there is nothing they can do about it..." They did replace the Potenzas with Michelins at 1500 miles. They said the noise is caused by the low profile tires which give you a stiffer ride.

I can't believe that having these 17" wheels are causing all of this noise. Especially since I have seen so many great looking GS's with 18" and 20" packages.

Is this something I am going to have to put up with, and will it get worse if I go up to an 18" or 20" later?

my GS430 w/ 22kmiles had a humming sound at 60mph when you let off the gas. They told me it was tires. I got new tires, still there. It turned out to be my rear diff and I had a whole new rear diff and halfshaft replaced via warranty and sound went away. I bought the car w/21k miles and the sound was there. My feeling is the lady who owned it before never noticed it and it was probably like that from the factory.

It would be sad if an 05 GS would already have a bad diff. :(

As for the tires, there is a noticeable difference when you go from 16s to 17s in terms of noise, handling, and ride quality. 18s - 20s will be worse but the steps are smaller since you are already in the stiffer sidewall realm.

Maybe you can ask the dealer to drive a few other GS on the lot that has 16s and 17s for comparison.

Tire noise is easily identified from differential noise. As you drive over different road surfaces, or patches in the paving, the noise will change instantly if it is the tires. A diff noise will change with throttle from drive, coast, and "float" inbetween. More than likely it is tire noise. My most wonderful Michelin AS Pilot tires are very noisy. But the noise changes as the road surface changes. It is not the differential.